FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Start of race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Henmch View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Henmch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start of race
    Posted: 17 May 19 at 2:52pm
Thank you for your responses to my original question which confirm my understanding.

If it was possible for the Windward boat A to keep clear of B by accelerating and crossing the line early even if there was for example a flag U flying could the leeward boat argue that this was boat A’s correct action to take to respond to leeward boat B’s luff even though boat A would be disqualified in the process?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 19 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Brass

Originally posted by mozzy

Originally posted by GML

To answer the original question: A's response should be to try to keep clear of B (since she is windward boat) and to try to avoid contact with the committee boat (since it is a mark). If she can do both those things then no issue. If she cannot then she should protest B.

Shouldn't it be B protesting A, if A doesn't keep clear? 

B comes from astern so has to give A, initially room to keep clear (i.e space for her transom to swing around as she heads up). 

The OP says the leeward boat got her overlaps 3/4 of a boat length to leeward, which I'd say was plenty of room. 

Past that initial moment A should really maintain a gap to windward so that if B luff aggressively (i.e. go head to wind) then they are out of reach. 

OP scenario was that B changes course to windward (luffs) A into the committee vessel.

I agree that this doesn't look like a rule 15 situation, but it certainly is a rule 16.

If a does her best to keep clear of B, but is unable to do so [without touching the committee vessel], then she is being denied room to keep clear, and sailing within the room to which she is entitled and exonerated if she fails to keep clear (rule 21).  That would be A's protest.

B could certainly protest if she thought that A could have kept clear.

Yes agree rule 16 applies, but if there is 3/4 of a boat length between them, then even if B headed up to head to wind i'd still think that would give A room to keep clear.

A doesn't have mark room as there isn't any, so if they are luffed in to the CB by B, or don't keep clear of B because they are avoiding the CB then surely A is at fault?

Isn't this why you always approach the CB on lay, so you can't be squeezed out.  And also why it is dangerous to sit to port of the CB in a left to right current as boats to leeward will drift up on you? 

I'm thinking of this where boat are racked up for a start almost stationary. Maybe the OP means the two boats are reaching toward the CB with a gap the leeward boat closes at the last second? I think that goes back to rule 16 and will depend on how late the luff was. If I was B I'd be telling A they had no room rights and sailing a course that left no room.

What do you think about the first couple of seconds of this video?

Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 19 at 7:30pm
Possibly too aggressive, but it's certainly happened to me and I suspect I have done it, too, certainly have when no committee boat is there. The leeward boat didn't even go above close-hauled as far as I could see.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 19 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Henmch

Thank you for your responses to my original question which confirm my understanding.

If it was possible for the Windward boat A to keep clear of B by accelerating and crossing the line early even if there was for example a flag U flying could the leeward boat argue that this was boat A’s correct action to take to respond to leeward boat B’s luff even though boat A would be disqualified in the process?

In that same article I posted Mark mentions a situation where A + B are in the middle of the line with no boats around them. A is stationary and going sideways into B. He then goes on to say A should sheet sails in to prevent him slipping sideways into B even if that means A crosses the start line.

Obviously if its a U flag situation A isn't going to do that and will probably opt for the penalty turns instead ruining the start for B

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 19 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ClubRacer

Obviously if its a U flag situation A isn't going to do that and will probably opt for the penalty turns instead ruining the start for B

RRS 44.1b
if the boat ... gained a significant advantage in the race or series by her breach her penalty shall be to retire.

So if you try and dodge being over the line by breaking a rule you're going to score letters anyway.

Edited by JimC - 17 May 19 at 10:04pm
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 12:52pm

Yes agree rule 16 applies, but if there is 3/4 of a boat length between them, then even if B headed up to head to wind i'd still think that would give A room to keep clear.

OK, it would be difficult for B to close a gap of 3/4 boat length in a F2.  Whether she did or not  would be up to the protest committee to find in terms of speeds, distances, time and contact.

A doesn't have mark room as there isn't any, so if they are luffed in to the CB by B, or don't keep clear of B because they are avoiding the CB then surely A is at fault?

No.  If B is 3/4 BL to leeward of the CV, there's plenty of room there for A, unless and until B changes course.

Once B changes course she is bound by rule 16 to give A room to keep clear and if she sandwiches A between herself and the CV, she's breaking rule 16.

... If I was B I'd be telling A they had no room rights and sailing a course that left no room.

B is good if she steadies on course while there is still space for A to bale out, if, however, B changes course once A has nowhere to go, B is breaking rule 16.

What do you think about the first couple of seconds of this video?

Doing the best I can with all the usual palaver about problems with video

@1 (W)hite looks like she is heading 1 to 2 BL to leeward of the CV

@1.5 W goes tiller down, sheet in, so she must be coming up, but still seems to be aiming clear below the CV and maybe 1BL behind the CV transom.

@2 W comes up, still showing daylight between her and the CV, (B)lack comes into view substantially overlapped on W.

@3 W still looks like she is aft of the transom of the CV so maybe B could have backed off and tacked out

@4 to @6 B accelerates into the gap

@7 contact between W and B.

Can't see whether there was contact between B and the CV, or how much space there was or was not between B and the CV.

Doesn't look like W comes up at all between @2 and @7.

W must have thought that she didn't break rule 16 because she continues racing.

B must have thought that she may have broken rule 11/14 without exoneration because she takes turns.

Edited by Brass - 21 May 19 at 1:02pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 3:21pm
I think @2 seconds I'd headed up and we're both still clear behind the CV and B could have tacked out. But, with this thread in mind and it's not so clear cut, probably I was 1-2 seconds late on my trigger which makes it closer on whether I gave them time to react.  

Black would have stood more chance of tacking out if they hadn't got their pole out 2 foot! 

We're good mates and even as he was sliding in he was apologising, then did turns. 

You rack up on the start line on starboard and below the lay for the committee... you think you have all the rights. But then you change course on the gun and that lays you open to 'room to keep clear' 15/16. Similar to a port taker claiming you headed up and they could no longer cross you at the gun. 

Had we not been next to the CV would it be different? If someone reached down on you like that mid line and you headed up you'd never lose protest. So is it that you need to only to give them room between yourself and them for them to keep clear, but also room between them and another object (in this case the CB)? 
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 3:38pm
I am sure the protest committee would also agree that he could have also let his sails out and stopped, which would have avoided a collision. 

If you have your sails in and end up on top of a boat to leeward you are always going to struggle to claim you were in the right.  
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 11:00pm

I think @2 seconds I'd headed up and we're both still clear behind the CV and B could have tacked out. But, with this thread in mind and it's not so clear cut, probably I was 1-2 seconds late on my trigger which makes it closer on whether I gave them time to react.  

Black would have stood more chance of tacking out if they hadn't got their pole out 2 foot! 

We're good mates and even as he was sliding in he was apologising, then did turns. 

You rack up on the start line on starboard and below the lay for the committee... you think you have all the rights. But then you change course on the gun and that lays you open to 'room to keep clear' 15/16. Similar to a port taker claiming you headed up and they could no longer cross you at the gun. 

So you were a little late pulling the trigger, but you made it in time.

Had we not been next to the CV would it be different? If someone reached down on you like that mid line and you headed up you'd never lose protest. So is it that you need to only to give them room between yourself and them for them to keep clear, but also room between them and another object (in this case the CB)? 

Yes, being close to the CV (or any other object) makes a difference.

In clear water, a leeward boat luffing and  failing to give room to a windward boat to keep clear will be all about the rate of turn.

Once there is an object to windward constraining where the windward boat can go, failure to give room to keep clear arises from the leeward boat coming up and reducing the space between herself and the object to windward so that the windward boat cannot fit through it.

This looks a bit like rule 19, but it's different:  while rule 19 applies (when it applies) to a leeward boat changing course it also applies to a leeward boat  sailing a straight course, rule 16 applies only to a boat changing course, and in particular applies at starting marks, and windward give way racing boats when rule 19 does not

Edited by Brass - 22 May 19 at 12:01am
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 19 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Henmch

If it was possible for A, by a seamanlike action, which would include sheeting in and advancing, to keep clear of B, then A has room to keep clear and B does not break rule 16.

But, depending on the exact relative positions of the boats and the conditions, it might be difficult for B to persuade a protest committee that it was indeed possible for A to accelerate enough to keep clear.

Referring to a U Flag start, perhaps you were thinking that room included space to comply with the rules, namely rule 30.3 U Flag Rule.  The definition of room only includes space to comply with a rule of Part 2 When Boats Meet and rule 31.  Room does not include room to comply with rule 30.3 and a right of way boat changing course is quite at liberty to push a give-way boat across the starting line.

As others have said, A doesn't have the option of not responding and taking a rule 44 penalty in preference to going over the line early.  In Match Racing that would be a double penalty on A.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>