FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Premier League Sailing Clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier League Sailing Clubs
    Posted: 15 May 19 at 9:55am
Interesting topic and I think quite a tough one to bottom out as just looking at a club membership list doesn't give a real picture of actual racing activity. Most of the really good racers I know rarely race at "their" club. The racing calendars for the top guys I know seem to revolve around their worlds/europeans/nats/areas/opens/big handicap events, with club racing following a long way down the list. The other dimension to this is that many of our top guys are involved in the sport in a business capacity too, as sailmakers, boat builders or whatever and their time sailing is probably better spent across a number of clubs and events rather than a single club in terms of contacts = sales etc. 

In fact, for guys at this level club membership is probably a bit of a double edged sword as they still need to do their club duties etc despite rarely sailing there. 

By The Lee View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 10:05am
http://www.stokesbay-sc.co.uk/past-champions/
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 10:16am
My club never gets more than 10 boats but we have a higher level of sailing than any of the clubs mentioned - our lake is 1175 metres above sea level.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 10:24am
Brightlingsea have a pretty impressive list of past champions and a member there mentioned that he was the only one out in a Club race who had not won something at National level.
Hitcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hitcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 10:30am
At clubs like Itchenor sometimes the club racing can have a slightly different format to turning up every Sunday throughout the year so it can depend on what racing you want as to which is the best choice. I know that classes like the I14's, 200's and Merlins at Itchenor organise weekends through the year (4 or 5 mini opens) where the members all turn out.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 10:30am
I cant miss mentioning Blithfield with top level racing in Merlin,Supernova and Osprey with Lasers pushing hard. And extra bonus points for being a members club and not a commercial behemoth.
Oli View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 11:07am
Originally posted by H2

Another way to look at this is to consider how many local boats race in the large events that visit these Premier Clubs. Draycote Dash, Grafham GP, Bloody Mary, Steve Nicks, probably others...always surprises me how few local boats enter and race which makes me wonder if they can't be arsed to show up for a 100+ boat event then do they show up for a club race?!?

a hundred boat event might eat up some members with volunteering, wouldnt use that as a good measure.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 11:13am
Originally posted by NickM99

Brightlingsea have a pretty impressive list of past champions and a member there mentioned that he was the only one out in a Club race who had not won something at National level.

If you scratch the surface enough most of the clubs on the blackwater / colne have a champ of two in their ranks, east coast sailors are pretty handy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 11:16am
Originally posted by CT249

My club never gets more than 10 boats but we have a higher level of sailing than any of the clubs mentioned - our lake is 1175 metres above sea level.
Raced on silvaplana once, near St Moritz. 1,800m. Was high enough to feel the altitude after a hoist.

Where on earth do you sail?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 11:52am
Originally posted by mozzy

Do you mean the quality of the racing or the quality of racers?

Good question. I think I meant the long term quality of the racing, or more simply which are the best racing clubs? It is relatively easy to get a feel for what the most competitive or thriving classes are, but less easy to do the same for clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>