FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Introducing Josiah || RS200 1686

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introducing Josiah || RS200 1686
    Posted: 07 May 19 at 8:36am
Been a while since I uploaded a video. Here's one of the new RS200, Josiah.

After having our previous 200 "Wedgwood" almost ten years it was time for a switch out. We were a bit nervous of a new boat as 1382 had been so good, plus we'd spent a load on it over the last couple of years (trolley, boom, sails, spinnaker pole), and we'd already had the stringer repair done which is the main hull defect they can pick up.  We felt we new it well, and as they say, better the devil you know... 

But, we couldn't see ourselves racing anything different at HISC so thought a new 200 would be reasonable investment. We picked up the new vessel in February, but didn't get down the club to sail for a while. 

The boat seems a bit stiffer under foot than old one, and a bit more grippy. Looking inside it's got less ply and more core so hopefully the build is even tougher over the long term. 

Visually it takes a bit of getting used to with the flush foredeck and a new rudder after spending so many years sailing the old one. Otherwise it all feels and sails very similar. There are a few changes where RS has built in the mods that people we making to the old boats anyway, such as bottle cages under the thwart and neat continuous control lines. 

The new pole recessed in to the deck is a big improvement. However, despite the new spinnaker shute mouth being wider the kite drops aren't as slick as the new throat has a tighter radius where the old fibreglass moulding has been replaced with an alloy bar. 

Fair play to RS the boats come completely ready to race. Most of the alterations we've made are just adding calibration to the kicker, plus swapping out the previous control lines as I didn't like the look of the join in the continuous loop. We put on EasiSplice (all in purple, so we can't tell which line does what!) which looks neater IMO and is a fairly cheap line. 

Anyway, here's the video:

Edited by mozzy - 07 May 19 at 8:41am
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 9:07am
Originally posted by mozzy

The boat seems a bit stiffer under foot than old one, and a bit more grippy.

Nice to see the good old Rock n Rolla is true to the One design concept as can be expected, different sails to I'll wager.

Edited by iGRF - 07 May 19 at 9:07am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 1:15pm
The new boat is only a foot longer and extra spinnaker areas makes no difference to performance, upwind.

And it's all okay because the handicap is the same and that's what matters, besides RS know someone in the PYG, and in Westminster, and SPECTRE. 

Hug
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 1:41pm
Why does it say RS800 on jib ?
Another good video by the way.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Why does it say RS800 on jib ?
Another good video by the way.

From the Endeavour Trophy I would guess. RS supplied sails with the class names on.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 2:02pm
Yeah, I bought my endeavour jib and kite after the event so we have a decent club racing set for the new boat. All our previous sails went with 1382. 

We tried taking the stickers off a previous set we bought from the endeavour and they left marks. Plus, I feel kind of proud of the RS800 sticker.  
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 2:12pm
I would be surprised if I swapped from my 10 year old boat to a new one and it didn't feel stiffer and the non slip sharper. certainly in my new Phantom(1430 was 5 years old when sold) the non slip could do with a bit of wear.
Gordon 
Phantom 1465 Seacreature

Gordon
Phantom 1430
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 19 at 5:46pm
Just adding the last race as the wind was really up for the final run :) 

Post Reply Post Reply