FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Langstone Sailing Club, where can I sail?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Langstone Sailing Club, where can I sail?
    Posted: 20 Apr 19 at 5:50pm
The blue kite was Frances and Tom, we had a white kite. 

We made it round, took the southern channel with a lot of gybing back and forth. We managed not to ground, but the other 800 did. I wouldn't fancy doing it in more than 5 knots in an easterly or westerly!

There was big shut down where the sea breeze was fighting the gradient which wasn't very kind to us. Generally the best breeze was around the top past the Emsworth channels. 

We got a good kicking on corrected time. The writing was on the wall when the Tasars were still only few minutes behind at the bridge and then tide only got stronger for those coming back later! Lost by 25 minutes! Must be some sort of record. 

It was pretty fun though. Nice to see round that way from on the water. 

GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 19 at 9:55pm
Blue kite?

Saw you whilst racing from Emsworth. Did you make it to the bridge?
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 1:43pm
Whatever happens, I hope the Go-Pro is on for it Mozzy! 
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 11:54am
mozzy,

that northern route looks about the same as the route we take when doing our round the islands race on the southern side of Northey island, upwind and down its wide enough in all but ludicrous wind speeds for an 800. As for actual depths of that part of langstone, sorry im out of mine there.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 8:14am
With any luck the bottom is mud? So while not recommended, or a load of fun, hitting with a dagger board might not do TOO much damage. I have seen an 800 hit a rock with the board down and split the case! But then, of course, part of the joy of sailing in shallow tidal estuaries is that there can be sunken logs, and all sorts of rubbish sitting on top of the bottom, to catch the unwary!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 8:06am
1.3m centreboard. If it's 15 knots it's likely some of that will be up... But probably best assuming we need 2m water to be confident.. ish

If it's an easterly I'm wondering whether the northern channel lines up better with our gybing and taking angles, getting in and out with just one tack and gybe on the northern tip of the triangular bank. 

Or do we need the depth of the southern channel... which could require a lot of tacks and gybes.

Hopefully the wind will go northerly or southerly so we can get down the southern channel in one tack / gybe! 
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 19 at 7:16pm
Channel is well marked. If you're boat handling is slick, do it.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 19 at 6:23pm
Mad, we frequently run aground with 700 cm centreboards on Boards, I famously lost a round island race running aground up that channel after pumping for 4 hours luffing the guy to the bank but he found a way through above, but seriously graunched his plate. I wouldn't take a fixed plate boat up there. You need an Alto or 505, something the plate kicks back at least.

Edited by iGRF - 17 Apr 19 at 6:24pm
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 19 at 5:33pm
Bonkers idea.
XC is giving 13mph? So you'll be going fast enough to make a right mess of your boat when you run aground.

www.fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=Langstone+and+Chichester+Harbours+boating+app#13.86/50.8041/-1.0066

Up near the bridge, it dries more than 2m in the deep part of the channel.
And don't forget the tidal range is less up there.

Edited by RS400atC - 17 Apr 19 at 5:34pm
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 19 at 4:59pm
South channel is pretty narrow, especially around that bank at the east end. Not sure how much water you’d need to get an 800 over it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>