FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mainsheet block swivel ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
trev55555 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote trev55555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mainsheet block swivel ?
    Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 7:18pm
Hi all 
I've been given a unused Holt Main sheet swivel ( part number HA-4266 ) which I want to use on my old National Solo (1972) as the old (and probably) original is pretty much worn out and wobbly....

So I ask 'does it matter that my 'new' block is missing the small internal swivel stops and would rotate 360' ?

I've asked a fellow solo sailor and others down t' club...
... and we are not to sure, by the way, offering up the new part shows me that there is no issues with obstruction with the traveller car or anything else .

Thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to answer.
Trev

ps I've looked to buy the missing parts online  and it doesnt look like they are available.

Edited by trev55555 - 08 Apr 19 at 7:37pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 7:21pm
I would say it will be fine, it will only pivot when you pull the fall and as you don't ever go in front of the traveller you'll never pull it in that direction.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 7:25pm
Depends on you really. If you never let go of the mainsheet, always keep it taut and never capsize then you'll probably not even notice. But if you drop the sheet or capsize, and the sheet winds round the tower a time or three it can vary from mildly irritating to damn dangerous. Ought not to be beyond the wit of man to organise some sort of stop if you don't mind it being limited to about 270 degrees.
trev55555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trev55555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 7:34pm
Thanks for your thoughts chaps/chapettes ?..... anymore for anymore ?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 7:35pm
The tower on the Spice only rotates around 200º and it's bloody annoying in the light......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 9:15pm
If your "old and wobbly" mainsheet swivel is a Harken, you can buy replacement ball bearings and recondition it fairly cheaply.
Do check the fixings to the centreboard cap. My Solo had the standard 4 wood screws - these protrude below the mount and seem inelegant and difficult to tighten once the wood has suffered.
I replaced the screws with s/s bolts, washers and unlock nuts.
Colin
trev55555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trev55555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 19 at 10:25am
Cheers Col', nope not a Harken, tis so old it got no BB's.

Edited by trev55555 - 09 Apr 19 at 10:26am
fogliettaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fogliettaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 19 at 9:28am
We here at Allen still have some old A4266's in stock complete with the stops.
Allen Brothers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Allen Brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 19 at 10:00am
Hi Trev, 

If you get in touch with us at Sales@allenbrothers.co.uk 

We will be able to help you source the correct parts for your mainsheet swivel. 

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 19 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The tower on the Spice only rotates around 200º and it's bloody annoying in the light......

I would have said there were a few other things that cause annoyance when sailing a Spice in light winds than the main jammer not rotating.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>