New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: ILCA drop LPE as a builder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ILCA drop LPE as a builder

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>
Author
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 26 Jan 12
Location: North
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1001
Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 6:45pm
Apart from the CST top section, is this for all practical purposes little more than smoke and mirrors and more about the sailor having the best head rather than the best boat. 
Back to Top
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 10 Oct 16
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 306
Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 6:57pm
Itís about some chancer trying to justify asking over £4k for a secondhand Laser. 
Back to Top
tink View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 23 Jan 16
Location: North East
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 199
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 6:58pm
The fact that in a one design class it is possible to Ďselectí a boat for anything other colour is quite simply wrong. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Back to Top
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 04 Dec 08
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2951
Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 7:33pm
Lasers are built using fairly low tech methods.
Therefore they will vary a bit.
It's possible to measure the variations to greater accuracy than the build tolerances.
That's true of any manufactured product. Unless you're prepared to have a very low production yeild.
Which class has less variation than the Laser?
I'm sure 'measured' classes have a more tightly controlled weight, but what about the weight distribution?

I would expect if any other SMOD got olympic status, people would be all over it finding the variations an choosing the best gear, particularl in boat with no user rig adjustments.

Back to Top
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 04 Dec 08
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2951
Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by A2Z

Itís about some chancer trying to justify asking over £4k for a secondhand Laser. 

Particularly one whch has seen a lot of Portland.
For that money, I'd want one which has pottered around some mirror smooth pond and never been stressed or fatigued.
Back to Top
tink View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 23 Jan 16
Location: North East
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 199
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Lasers are built using fairly low tech methods.
Therefore they will vary a bit.
It's possible to measure the variations to greater accuracy than the build tolerances.
That's true of any manufactured product. Unless you're prepared to have a very low production yeild.
Which class has less variation than the Laser?
I'm sure 'measured' classes have a more tightly controlled weight, but what about the weight distribution?

I would expect if any other SMOD got olympic status, people would be all over it finding the variations an choosing the best gear, particularl in boat with no user rig adjustments.

As an Engineer I am well versed in the practicalities and economics of manufacturing and tolerance. The issue is that what is implied here is he went to the builders inserted a mast and measured rake and fully examined the hull for fairness and now considers that the norm that it the top selling point of the boat.
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Back to Top
Peter Barton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 89
Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Barton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 19 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Which class has less variation than the Laser?

The RS Aero

4.6.1 Standardization of equipment - Page 18
4.6.2 Quality of production - Page 19




Back to Top
rich96 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 20 Jan 05
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 482
Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 19 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by tink


First line one this advert interesting for a one design class



This is nothing new - years ago people checked the rake, weight and also verticality/alignment of both the centreboard/rudder

The reason why the rake is so much more important on a Laser than, say, an Aero, is because the Laser is sailed block to block upwind and the leech tension is therefore limited (the Aero has higher boom and the D Zero has an adjustable deck ring)

So a boat hand picked with the correct rake is certainly a good starting point.

Is £4k a lot for a well set up and successful 213K Laser ?



Back to Top
tink View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 23 Jan 16
Location: North East
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 199
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 19 at 5:33pm
So the idea that the Laser was a better choice than the Aero because it is more inclusive was flawed because in reality the richer countries could buy/ select better Lasers  (I presume / hope however that they get given random boats for the actual Olympics) Sad 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Back to Top
tink View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 23 Jan 16
Location: North East
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 199
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 19 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by rich96

Originally posted by tink


First line one this advert interesting for a one design class



This is nothing new - years ago people checked the rake, weight and also verticality/alignment of both the centreboard/rudder

The reason why the rake is so much more important on a Laser than, say, an Aero, is because the Laser is sailed block to block upwind and the leech tension is therefore limited (the Aero has higher boom and the D Zero has an adjustable deck ring)

So a boat hand picked with the correct rake is certainly a good starting point.

Is £4k a lot for a well set up and successful 213K Laser ?




It would be a simple mod to have mast rake as a measurement in the class rules 
and simple shims bonded in during final quality check so was a truly one design boat.
Yes if you do the same for all the other variables cost with go North. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy