FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ILCA drop LPE as a builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 46>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ILCA drop LPE as a builder
    Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 12:34pm
Yes, Masters. Mark's Olympic days were back in the 70s. But even a Masters worlds is several steps above club racing.
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 1:02pm
Depends on the club a bit :-)
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 1:38pm
 You're going to have to beat a few masters world champions to win a stokes bay club race in the laser  Big smile
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by A2Z

I’m not the one simplifying it...To claim LP Lasers are not eligible for club Laser fleets is!

The situation is complex, but we know that LP have previously successfully defended their territorial rights to the Laser name and logo, and we know ILCA intend to change their name. We know LP intend to continue to make Lasers. So why shouldn’t these boats be allowed to compete in Jeffers Laser fleet?
You seem to be claiming that an out of class Laser type boat built by LP (and until a court rules differently that's my interpretation of LP built Lasers at the moment) can automatically sail in a Laser fleet ?   There have been lots of threads on this forum about replica Laser kit, though not replica complete boats !  There have been lots of arguments for and against, but there is strong evidence that a protest against a non class legal Laser would probably succeed unless the club involved set up a "Laser type" handicap fleet.

Different clubs will probably have different approaches to an open "Laser like" class, Jeffers club sounds like it wouldn't want to go down that route. If this came up at my club I think we'd probably feel the same as we'd want to support the class association. 

Not so simple as you think it is !
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 4:52pm
Yeah, a boat built by LP without a plaque, such as their recently announced training Lasers or what they build when they run out of plaques will not be an International Laser.

To say "ah well its a Laser it should be allowed in" - well OK, how about a Laser 2000? Both are called Laser, neither is an International Laser class dinghy.

But realistically I can't see clubs that accept replica sails refusing replica Lasers. What are you going to do when the first person shows up with one? ~It doesn't have to be a handicap fleet. All it needs is for the SIs to say something like:
"Laser" Race. This race is open to International Laser Class Dinghies and other boats with hulls, spars, sails and other equipment that are substantially similar to the Int Laser."

Edited by JimC - 24 Apr 19 at 4:56pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 5:15pm
Surely it will race has a Laser ? LP will be its own class association, similar to how Bahias etc race in handicap fleets. The new Gamma boats won't have a PY number ? They will have to apply for a EN number until they have a few races under their belt ?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 7:09pm
I would still question who will buy one? Almost anybody wanting a new boat is probably racing at a high level so would not but a non-class legal boat and vanishingly few club only sailors will be in the market for a brand new boat.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 7:29pm
Laser will undercut ILCA/Gamma class, whatever price new Gamma is they will offer a Laser substantially cheaper, LP to me anyway, hold all the cards.

Edited by 423zero - 24 Apr 19 at 7:33pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 8:03pm
Not sure I can see anyone privately buying either boat new until this is sorted. However I can see sailing centres carrying on buying "training" Lasers and simply being pleased there is a price drop.

If one came into a club, would anyone check it had the right sticker? Looks like a Laser, sails like a Laser, so I doubt many would care, especially where Laser results are extracted from a handicap fleet.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 8:38pm
For there to be used ones for club racers to buy (and I don't think many 'club series only' racers buy new Lasers) somebody has to buy the new ones. But, the new ones from LPE are not legal to race at ILCA events so ILCA/WS have the 'serious' Laser racers by the proverbial short and curlies and they ain't going to buy a non-legal LPE Laser.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 46>