FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ILCA drop LPE as a builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 46>
Author
Cirrus View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ILCA drop LPE as a builder
    Posted: 03 May 19 at 7:35pm
Yes, I've had my eye on that, but it's a tad underpowered tbh, 7.4? Too small a main sail and 3.9 mtrs? It's not really going to do it for me..

Priceless.  Who would ever have thought it ......  LOL  (GRF - the 'gift' that never stops giving - well something along those lines anyway ...)
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 19 at 10:27pm
Is this thread now redundant?
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 19 at 12:26am
Originally posted by iGRF

Tell me, where are all the IMCO sailors now? The board continued to be produced, why didn't you all continue sailing it and why is the RSX a significantly heavier and slower dog of a board still going? 

The RSX is still going because of Olympic status. The IMCO class died, as I understand it, because of the direct opposition led by your group who wanted the class to change design once again. Instead of just forming a new class, or coming to an agreement to maintain the existing equipment as part of the class, your group told us all that we were going to have to buy a new board most of us did not want.

So you claim that dinghy sailors are restrictive, but you seem to have been a leading part of the group who restricted the freedom of IMCO sailors to keep on racing the board we liked. And no major class has ever changed more than the Mistral and no class has ever collapsed from such a position of strength, which makes a mockery of any claim that introducing massive changes to one design classes must be a good thing.

Re the Contender, those corks are still blocking your view. If the Contender were built lighter, to suit the likes of me and the rest of us girls, it could have a smaller rig, which it is not beyond the bounds of reason, to be designed in such a way it equalled, but did not exceed the current rig, it's not rocket science and it might even have a higher boom . Un likely since the class is probably full of dullards like yourself who refuse to see any wood beyond the trees whilst they contemplate all the great times past.

Stop telling me I'm wrong, like most women, that is impossible.

You continue to ignore the main point. Why should the current Contender sailors, for example, effectively be robbed of the boats they love and the racing they love, just so you can waltz in?Why should the people who have put thousands of quid into their boats have to throw that all away, just to suit you? 

The irony is that the class that I am most closely involved with has just done a major upgrade, which seems to have been one of the most successful upgrades that any SMOD has ever seen. I was an early adopter and an early supporter of the upgrade, which utterly demolishes your argument that I can't see the benefit of some upgrades. But that was an upgrade done correctly, by respecting the existing sailors, their desires and their position. You seem to want to drive upgrades by respecting only yourself and by denigrating the current owners, and that will never work. 

Edited by CT249 - 04 May 19 at 1:10am
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 19 at 6:59am
GRF’s lens is that of an industry retailer....
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 19 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by CT249

You continue to ignore the main point. Why should the current Contender sailors, for example, effectively be robbed of the boats they love and the racing they love, just so you can waltz in?Why should the people who have put thousands of quid into their boats have to throw that all away, just to suit you? 
The irony is that the class that I am most closely involved with has just done a major upgrade, which seems to have been one of the most successful upgrades that any SMOD has ever seen. I was an early adopter and an early supporter of the upgrade, which utterly demolishes your argument that I can't see the benefit of some upgrades. But that was an upgrade done correctly, by respecting the existing sailors, their desires and their position. You seem to want to drive upgrades by respecting only yourself and by denigrating the current owners, and that will never work. 

No (types slowly as if to a disturbed child) I didn't miss that point, you missed the bit where I pointed out that the current Contender sailors would not have to change if the new lighter boat were detuned with a (more manageable) rig designed to equal but not exceed the existing rigs performance. Just as the Prodigy was designed not to exceed the existing One Designs performance but be sufficient to race alongside the other boards even though it had a bigger sail, the water line length was such that the Equipe sized OD still had the edge, but in the right conditions it could be sailed off the fin Formula style, wide angles, and be in with a shout in the right hands.

As to driving upgrades only to respect myself, that's a pretty narrow market, surely there are lots more people my size that are currently discriminated against by luddite bigots like yourself.

Edited by iGRF - 04 May 19 at 5:12pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 19 at 7:30pm
So, the Contender with current weight and sail V a light weight one with smaller sail? Are you putting weight limits on the sailors, too?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 19 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Rupert

So, the Contender with current weight and sail V a light weight one with smaller sail? Are you putting weight limits on the sailors, too?
Would have thought that would work itself out in the wash. It would probably break at what? What's the minimum acceptable all weather weight for a Contender helm 85-90kgs?

So Contender Light could be a bit like the Solution is to the Phantom, except maybe the same length and performance unlike those two. I shall have to bung it through my old work out a handicap spreadsheet and see what reducing the hull weight does and how much the sail area would need to be reduced by to compensate.
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 19 at 12:34am
LOL ....... sureal or what  !!  GRF - know when to back off for goodness sake ..... It ain't going to happen anytime soon ... or ever.

CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 19 at 6:49am
Originally posted by iGRF

No (types slowly as if to a disturbed child) I didn't miss that point, you missed the bit where I pointed out that the current Contender sailors would not have to change if the new lighter boat were detuned with a (more manageable) rig designed to equal but not exceed the existing rigs performance. Just as the Prodigy was designed not to exceed the existing One Designs performance but be sufficient to race alongside the other boards even though it had a bigger sail, the water line length was such that the Equipe sized OD still had the edge, but in the right conditions it could be sailed off the fin Formula style, wide angles, and be in with a shout in the right hands.

As to driving upgrades only to respect myself, that's a pretty narrow market, surely there are lots more people my size that are currently discriminated against by luddite bigots like yourself.

Oh dear ol' Grumpf, that's bad trolling even by your standards. 

If you were any good at trolling you would have seen that the post quite clearly said that your plan would rob Contender sailors "the racing they love".    The racing Contender sailors love is ONE DESIGN racing. You don't get ONE DESIGN racing from a boat that is of a different weight, a different sail area, and only possibly the same length and performance. You silly ole' sausage! LOL

You'd also have seen that this year alone I've been involved in a major upgrade of a significant class, as well as buying into a very new class in a minor way, so that puts paid to the "luddite" allegations. And since I'm about your size and weight, it's equally as funny to claim that I'm discriminating against people of your stature. Wink

The "discrimination" here is by you - the man who wants to rob the Contender sailors of the value of their boats and class. 

Edited by CT249 - 05 May 19 at 8:49am
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 19 at 8:47am
Originally posted by sargesail

GRF’s lens is that of an industry retailer....

Yes, it's funny how some people believe that money has a uni-directional moral value. Money in a sailor's bank account is the root of all evil, and therefore 'tis immoral if it stays there, for he or she be merely a muppet with a sh*tbox. Money in the industry member's bank account, however, is the good and proper reward for converting muppets to paupers with shiny toys.  :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 46>