New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: GJW Hayling Island Whitsun Regatta 2019: 25-27 May
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GJW Hayling Island Whitsun Regatta 2019: 25-27 May

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GJW Hayling Island Whitsun Regatta 2019: 25-27 May
    Posted: 25 Mar 19 at 7:15pm

Entry has opened, £25 for double handers, £20 for single, reduced fees for children. 

Enter before the 30th April for a ticket in the £100 draw. 

Class racing for Tasar, RS Elite, Flying Fifteen, International 14, RS700, RS800, 29er, RS200, Solo, RS Feva, RS Tera and Optimist. 

Edit: And of course handicap starts for all comers!

There's also a big bank holiday pursuit on the Monday, so you can stay and make a long weekend of it. 

Edited by mozzy - 27 May 19 at 7:46am
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 19 at 7:36am
HI Mozzy
Post omits to say there will be Handicap racing as well as class starts but it is in the NOR.
Regards
Gordon
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 19 at 9:41am
I paused whilst writing the post to check what handicap starts there would be, then never put that line in! Last year there was just one handicap fleet, but that may change I guess dependent on entries. 

There's also an entry limit, but I can't see what it is... One of the other Hayling people on here might know. But, given that it's the Tasar Nationals (pre-worlds), plus I-14, FF and RS800 opens, and given there's usually a healthy home and harbour turnout of 200's and Solos I wouldn't be surprised if the entry limit is hit. Should make the party pretty good too!   

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 19 at 12:45pm
Hi Mozzy
It sounds like class racing is likely to fill the limit, so handicap could be almost an unwelcome nuisance?
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 19 at 1:29pm
Not at all. 

Class racing won't fill the entry limit alone, even if every class gets great turnouts. My point was, more classes are using the event as their HISC open, so that's likely to lift numbers and put us closer to limit... therefore get your entry in early if you fancy it. 

But, the whole feel of the event is a club regatta, like FED Week vibe. I expect a large handicap fleet with people just racing what they have. Plus there's decent numbers of Fireballs, Merlins, Finns and Aero's which don't have their own starts. Last year the largest start was the handicap fleet. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 19 at 7:41am
Thanks Mozzy
Just wanted to clarify as I would not want to enter and find myself billy no mates. New boat is going to need a lot of on water and beach time to get the best out of it.
Now to get a pink ticket from the boss.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 19 at 9:12am
EDIT: Rodney's post has gone  Confused

They do have at FED Week

But this is the Whitsun Regatta. It's not a 'class racing only' thing, it's a traditional club regatta, with more of the FED week family vibe (but not exact racing format and starts). Like FED week, although many classes support their own start, there's still a big contingent of handicap racing. And unlike a championship it's more of a getting on the water holiday feel, which I was describing as the 'FED week vibe'.

Whitsun has replaced the previous HISC regatta, which traditionally was right before FED Week. And with the Commodores cup right after. Which was a lot of events and most people were skipping the weekends to focus n FED week and so the regatta (and Com Cup) was getting overlooked and attendances were down. 

So the idea was to move the club regatta to Whitsun Weekend, invest in big socials, move the racing to the bay and basically distinguish itself at it's own standalone event. 

Several classes have incorporated their class opens in to the Whitsun for 2019, which should boost numbers. It's just a very cheap way of getting a two day event at the club... £25, rather than £50. And then there's a cheap charity pursuit on Monday too... basically three days sailing for less than £40. For some fleets this is perhaps a compromise on sharing courses and format, but many were doing that anyway. On the other hand, the socials will be bigger and the event possibly more family friendly in that kids / spouses can sail in other fleets.

VR sport made a couple of videos capturing a little more of the event than my RS200 Saturday only video...

Edited by mozzy - 27 Mar 19 at 9:14am
rodney View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 19 at 11:49am
Originally posted by mozzy

EDIT: Rodney's post has gone  Confused

They do have at FED Week

Sorry but I saw the error of my stupid ways  Ouch

Sadly I am guessing that the Finns will be class racing out of Mengeham and Bosham over Whitsun so, probably, not many at HISC.  Having said that it looks like we will be joining together this year, HISC ad MRSC, for some harbour handicap racing which should be fun  Smile

Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 19 at 9:09am
Last week to get the early bird entry and chance to win £100. 

£10 Youth
£15 Youth double
£20 Adult
£25 Adult double
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 7:08pm
It's this weekend!

120 entries so far... plenty more will enter on the day, looks like a great forecast too!

Please don't miss out! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>