FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick release harnesses mandatory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
ExBas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ExBas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick release harnesses mandatory
    Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:16pm
Is that it would need to comply with ISO 10862 which is the standard for quick release trapeze harnesses. Seems logical right?
Effectively the standard was championed by the RYA following a number of fatalities in the UK around 2009/2010. It covers issues in use around entrapment scenarios that items like the keyball system don't cater for. I've tested the keyball system and it can still lead to an entrapment scenario and isn't fool proof. In fairness, neither is the ISO but the ISO standard is based on learnings from, sadly, real life events
Poacher turned gamekeeper
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:22pm
Where does the quick release notion come from? 

http://www.puri.ee/media/WorldSailingRRS20172020-20946.pdf

THE

RACING RULESOF

SAILINGfor 20172020

(a)

COMPETITOR CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT

Competitors shall not wear or carry clothing or equipment for the purpose of increasing their weight.

(b) Furthermore, a competitor’s clothing and equipment shall not weigh more than 8 kilograms, excluding a hiking or trapeze harness and clothing (including footwear) worn only below the knee. Class rules or sailing instructions may specify a lower weight or a higher weight up to 10 kilograms. Class rules may include footwear and other clothing worn below the knee within that weight. A hiking or trapeze harness shall have positive buoyancy and shall not weigh more than 2 kilograms, except that class rules may specify a higher weight up to 4 kilograms. Weights shall be determined as required by Appendix H.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:24pm
Sorry. Existing rule. Anyone find the new rule?

ExBas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ExBas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:33pm
New rule isn't published, you need to look to the minutes from the World Sailing Racing Rules committee meeting held in Florida in 2017 where the change was approved. It has a delayed effective date to allow industry to respond and for sailors to adapt to it. The weight part in Appendix H is also changed as new harnesses are doing more, like containing lumber support etc to reflect new requirements
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:49pm
I sell and have sold harnesses for a living for many years, and the quick release thing has come and gone quite frequently. Obviously in my other world there is less to get entangled with and in some areas (kiting) coming adrift from the harness could be very costly to both life, limb and equipment as has occurred to one particular new entry to the harness market Ride Engine who have failed spectacularly costing riders equipment as well as a long swim.

I chose this not because it's quick release, it really isn't and if it does indeed comply with this ISO thing your referring to then you'd better go back to the drawing board. It relies on twin yellow release strips that rip the velcro to remove the spreader bar, but that doesn't get you out of the harness, and in panic mode, maybe upside down, you'd still have to release the shoulder strap to clear it, so it's three release points, not one which is usually what I'd expect from a true QR device. It comes with a pretty standard spreader hook dinghy old style, nothing special. Although I was quite impressed with the Allen cock and ball system, it locks you into one boat with that harness, so no boat hopping as I'm prone to on occasion. The harness is quite comfy, it's got move aroundable lumbar support, and neo stretchy butt support so it'll do for now.
Other than that I don't mind the 'Zhik' brand imagery it's not too knaff like most things dinghy, visually it's not too deadly uncool and the buckle on my DaKine Trap also a QR, has taken to releasing itself of late which is quite tedious especially to one not quite 100% comfortable flying by wire.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:57pm
Thanks ExBas I gave up on trying to find WS Florida minutes but did find this.
https://www.iso.org/news/2009/07/Ref1235.html

ExBas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ExBas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 9:57pm
It's worth understanding the ISO and governing bodies like RYA have a job to do in educating here. The Zhik product by the looks of it doesn't comply with the ISO, so it's a challenge for the uneducated buyer to wade through marketing bullshxt and what is true.
ExBas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ExBas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 10:02pm
http://sailing.org/meetings/2018-conference.php
May help with papers for 2018 conference.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by ExBas

Is that it would need to comply with ISO 10862 which is the standard for quick release trapeze harnesses. Seems logical right?
Effectively the standard was championed by the RYA following a number of fatalities in the UK around 2009/2010. It covers issues in use around entrapment scenarios that items like the keyball system don't cater for. I've tested the keyball system and it can still lead to an entrapment scenario and isn't fool proof. In fairness, neither is the ISO but the ISO standard is based on learnings from, sadly, real life events

Is this just H&S B0110x then? How can the key ball system cause entrapment with no hook to catch on anything? 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 19 at 3:57am
There are other ways you can get trapped than by a hook, but whether the keyball was deliberately excluded or simply didn't fit the standards designer preconceptions I have no idea.

My understanding is that Bethwaite first designed a triggered hook like the other early designs, but abandoned the idea after a prototype came back from loan with the trigger taped up.

Edited by JimC - 05 Mar 19 at 4:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>