FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 2 Spinnaker pole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 2 Spinnaker pole
    Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 8:01pm
I've just brought a new pole for our club L2, other one is still floating somewhere.....

I want to make it captive in some way. Would a single self launching pole off the boom work?

The L2 is odd because the attachment point for the diamonds is lower than the spinnaker pole eye, so maybe this wouldn't work.

Any ideas?
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 19 at 2:14pm
Back in the day, when I raced L2's, mine and many others put a double ended ramp fitting in the middle of the pole instead of the eye. The pole uphaul/downhaul had a loop that engaged on the ramp cutout. The end pole pistons were linked by a rope. The uphaul/downhaul went inside between the end-to-end line and the pole - meaning you had a captured pole all the time. When not in use, the pole was put in the boom loops and the uphaul let off to bring the pole level with the boom. Auto launch systems were not allowed in the class rules.

Edited by ttc546 - 03 Mar 19 at 2:16pm
Sussex Lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 19 at 6:42pm
Yes ramp system keeps the pole captive.

Personally I wouldn't go for self launching in a club boat, too much faffing around for maintenance person. As pointed out it's also against class rules  but as the class is now dead in the uk I don't suppose that matters much.

and on that note the downhaul kicker and cunningham can be improved now as well. A few extra purchases and blocks make it much nicer to sail and only cost a few quid.

This boat with a half way decent set of sails is now the biggest bandit (1085) on the py  list so if you do "improve" it and race it it would be fair to let your sailing sec know, he/she might want to alter the py if it's out of class.
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 19 at 5:05pm
Thanks, that's sorted the problem out. Our new pole has come with a ramp.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
 Post Reply Post Reply