FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europe dinghy rig mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Rusty69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rusty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe dinghy rig mod
    Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 12:07pm
Apologies if this is the wrong section.

I have a Europe dinghy, which in my older years I am having trouble getting under the boom. I was looking to buy a solo instead (see my other thread on car topping).

However, another thought. How easy would it be to either reduce the length of the leach on my existing sail, or raise the boom and fit another sail. How much would drilling new holes higher up weaken the mast?
What sail would likely fit if I were to raise the boom, by say 6-8 inches?

Thanks

Edited by Rusty69 - 30 Mar 19 at 8:15pm
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 12:31pm
It should be fairly straight forward for a sailmaker to take 6 inches or so off the leech to raise the boom up a bit but I'd suggest leaving the gooseneck and sail track opening where they are.
Before you jump to the Solo remember that unlike the Europe or OK where the cockpit is completely clear behind the traveller, the Solo has a long and wide centreboard capping and you end up having your upper body being squeezed between it and the boom unless you really move right aft. Try one first as always is the advice
OK 2249
D-1 138
Rusty69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rusty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by KazRob

It should be fairly straight forward for a sailmaker to take 6 inches or so off the leech to raise the boom up a bit but I'd suggest leaving the gooseneck and sail track opening where they are.
Before you jump to the Solo remember that unlike the Europe or OK where the cockpit is completely clear behind the traveller, the Solo has a long and wide centreboard capping and you end up having your upper body being squeezed between it and the boom unless you really move right aft. Try one first as always is the advice

Thanks .I hadn't thought of that.
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 1:25pm
Some classes I've sailed used to have a leech flattener, which is sort of like a cunningham for the leech. When its fully on it does lift the end of the boom, pics on this on a Lark from the HD sails website http://www.hdsails.com/home/new-lark-additions/
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 1:31pm
Your problem is very similar to quite a few members at my club and probably repeated nationwide.
Most of members at my club with similar issues have opted for 2 handers.
Rusty69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rusty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Late starter

Some classes I've sailed used to have a leech flattener, which is sort of like a cunningham for the leech. When its fully on it does lift the end of the boom, pics on this on a Lark from the HD sails website http://www.hdsails.com/home/new-lark-additions/

That looks good. Maybe i could fit a topping lift
Rusty69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rusty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Your problem is very similar to quite a few members at my club and probably repeated nationwide.
Most of members at my club with similar issues have opted for 2 handers.

Alas,, it is just me.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 2:12pm
Rusty69,
They sail solo, most of the older members don't go out in strong winds anyway, so sailing a 2 hander not an issue.
Rusty69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rusty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Rusty69,
They sail solo, most of the older members don't go out in strong winds anyway, so sailing a 2 hander not an issue.

Ah, ok.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 19 at 2:23pm
Ref. the Solo ... there are two common rake settings, based upon the mast foot position.  The aft, more upright position (3055mm) leaves a lot more room under the boom, and should work fine for most people.  The more raked position (3070mm) is more relevant for open water F4+.  The current trend is to sail more on the mainsheet and traveller, rather than the kicker, which also makes tacking easier.  In the Solo you are allowed a shorter leech, though I am not sure anyone does it.

There was a proposal to restyle the aft end of the centreboard case a few years ago, which was rejected by the class;  some like the handles to assist recovery after a capsize, it is also a handy foot rest when hiking for long periods of time!
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>