FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Class proliferation...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class proliferation...
    Posted: 16 Feb 19 at 11:27pm
Multi manufacturer development classes worked well enough in windsurfing too, until the powers that be chucked a spanner in the works by pandering to the manufacturers and made Raceboards a production board only class and the 'garden shed' builders were legislated out of business.

I don't think many clubs would have survived without racing, the whole reason for clubs it to provide some form of organisation, free sailors and cruisers don't need (and in fact most shun) organisation, much like the only windsurfers who join clubs are joining for the racing......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Peter Barton

Originally posted by Fatboi

To me, sailing is starting to get a bit silly with pricing. 
If you are not bought in to it and start looking at new boats, or if you have got bitten by the bug and then want to start getting competitive and racing want to upgrade to a new boat then it is a huge sum of money! 
RS Aero, nearly £10k
Laser - £6k
OK - £10k
Solo - £9k

RS Aero 7 is £7,190
Add trolley and cover for £598 and you are good to go.

Where do you get £10k from?
£10k would get you all three rigs and plenty extras - ready for the whole family in a wide range of winds! That is a load more versatility value, if required.

Hi Pete,

I put together a package that I would want if I were travelling and racing on the circuit. Plus a smaller sail for the blasting days at the club! 

Came out as follows...

The headline of 7k doesn't really ring true...!

Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 2:28pm
Add in a 5 rig, gets you to 10.6k ,which is pretty well what Peter said.
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 3:02pm
Add additonal sails, spars, trailers etc to a Laser and the price also goes up. Quelle surprise!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 3:13pm
Yep. You could argue that Aero sailors appear more likely to buy 2 rigs than Laser sailors, but very few would find a need for all 3 unless the boat is for multiple sailors.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 4:09pm
Sounds about right, a new Blaze 'ready to sail' is within a pint of £10k, that's without trolly or cover. With two rigs and all those 'essential' extras it's over £13.5k. A 'complete boat' spec Winder Merlin is £14.7k so probably £16-18k with all the bimbles. New boats ain't cheap but boatbuilders have to make a living too I suppose.

But there are plenty of decent used boats out there so you pays your money and takes your choice I guess.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 6:06pm
List prices are just that in this sector... something to make the almost inevitable discount offers look irresistible when they come along as they will !   'Show deals' and similar are where  most will be tempted to spend their 'hard earned' and always was .....

Comparisons are pointless if you simply go on list ones as discount levels vary enormously.  But the modern epoxy foamed boat does have a very very much longer competitive life and a decent used one really can be a relative bargain with a new sail.   Modern sails ditto btw ....  Back in the day early GRP hulls could go floppy (ie slow) in a few months.  In a few years they also put on the pounds as well !!  As for sails ... well too many were only on the pace for a very short time if pushed.   Much better to buy quality 'used' than cheap 'new'.  Not all will agree but it is just the way I see it.

Edited by Cirrus - 18 Feb 19 at 6:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910