FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rigging question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rigging question.
    Posted: 27 Jan 19 at 9:08pm
Which one? I can teach you to race with either!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 19 at 9:17pm
Aft rigged, have had loads of coaching, probably my head injury which affects me physically sometimes.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 19 at 9:39pm
Maybe. Reprogramming the tacking manoeuvre can take a lot of hours even for someone without a head injury.

To keep things simple, rig things up very simply, 2:1 at the back, forwards to the same place you currently take the tail from. Your actions won't need to change at all, apart from not being able to grab the falls in a gybe. You'll have to make sure there is nothing aft to catch on, though.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 19 at 11:31pm
I always found the aft mainsheet meant I was constantly sliding down the side decks towards the transom. It was back in the days of nylon over trousers which clearly didn't help but having the pull from directly in front of you (upwind at least when the loads are highest) makes holding the mainsheet tension much easier.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 7:13am
Like trying to do your signature with the wrong hand
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 9:28am
Good analogy Thumbs Up

Even though I started sailing in an Oppi and then a Heron, both with an aft mainsheet when I got my OK with a centre mainsheet it was a revelation.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 1:58pm
The centre main-sheet systems like your shown (or RS400 / Merlin) aren't very efficient. The take off point is at such a mechanical disadvantage that you're already have to add a few purchases to 'break even'.  And adding subsequent purchases are less effective... all that adds friction. 

So why use them? Well, really it's for boats which are wide and short where your tiller extension wouldn't otherwise fit through.

The best solution would be move to a 2:1 at the boom end brought forward to a deck cleat (like a laser).  If that causes issues getting through the boat with your tiller extension, then you could rig twin tillers, just use aft sheeting (like N12s), or bring the sheet along (or under) the cockpit floor to cleat in front of you instead of along the boom and down.  

Unfortunately, there are only two ways to add mechanical advantage without creating excess sheet tail in the boat:
1) Fit a winch Wacko; or 
2) Rig a tweaker (gross /fine). Maybe a 4:1 / 8:1? It's the type of thing you see on yachts and some cats. It adds quite a bit more hardware. Plus, it's a bit of a safety hazard. 

Just as another point. If it's single sailed boat you'll want some sort of traveller to get leach tension with the main sheet at a wide sheeting angle. 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 7:17pm
Mozzy.
it's long and narrow.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 7:49pm
With the wings, the tiller extension is long, though. Best check it will fit!
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 8:31pm
The original horse was attached to to bar across Back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>