FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Duties.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duties.
    Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 1:46pm
My club is probably not alone in this issue, members failing to do duties.
We are probably fairly unique in being a small functioning club (30 odd active members), so we have to temper 'punishment' (?) with risk of losing some members.

The structure is each member is expected to do 4 duties per year, 2 in summer season 2 in winter season, their are members who have never done a duty or attended training on how to do duties.

We do not have any members who are for want of a better description 'unpleasant'.

I have suggested increasing membership dues by £80, £20 per duty, when you do your duty £20 is deducted from your dues, those that don't do duties have to pay the extra £80, members who have to step in have their dues decreased by the £20 non attending member pays.

What do other clubs do ? Does it work ?

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 2:01pm
Were it my club my first concern would be tax and employment law unintended consequences, and my second would be whether the implied "its OK to pay 20quid to get out of a duty" would result in many more duties undone and an unfair load going on the willing.

RYA legal could probably advise on the first. The second, well I'd start by finding out how many members are willing to do *more* duties...
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 2:18pm
You are not actually receiving money, you will not be paying full amount, pensioners and kids already have a discount, isn't it the same ?
I wouldn't think anyone would want to do extra duties, never been a time when  someone hasn't stepped in though.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 2:54pm
Just been researching Tax and employment law, checking through CASC regulations, came across this section 2.3.11 you cannot refuse membership to someone who refuses to do voluntary work, so presumably you cannot set up a 'punish or reward scheme' ?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 6:17pm
Just because you can't refuse them, doesn't mean you can't reward others who do the work. Does cast doubt on the other way round, though?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 8:46pm
Tough one, my club has a couple of hundred members, and a fair percentage of those 'active'. I do get a few requests for cover but not too many. We do 2 or 3 duties in a year, I did 4 in my first year (2017) and will have done 3 this year by the time the next rota is planned. I am happy to do an extra one and/or some other work party stuff. If I could sail every weekend and every Wednesday like I did in my youth I'd volunteer for more duties happily but I paid my dues for 13 years as Chairman of my windsurfing club so I don't feel ready to make a bigger commitment just now.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 19 at 8:55am
Originally posted by 423zero

You are not actually receiving money, you will not be paying full amount, pensioners and kids already have a discount, isn't it the same ?

I don't know, that's why you need to get a professional opinion. The law is too complicated for anything else. The CASC thing you found, for example, is something I'd not have thought of checking.

Originally posted by 423zero

I wouldn't think anyone would want to do extra duties, never been a time when  someone hasn't stepped in though.

That's kinda my point. There's a social pressure on people to do their duties and not let others down. I suspect that if one provides a cash alternative then folk who currently do duties reluctantly will gratefully take up the cash alternative, which leave the club requiring the remaining people to do more duties.

Of course if the income from cash alternatives were sufficient to pay someone to have a part time job as race assistant or whatever that would be another matter, but if a club were to be paying the living wage hourly rates the cash alternative would need to be a great deal more - at a guess something over £100 by the time you've allowed for all the hidden costs of employing someone over basic wage.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 19 at 9:18am
If you’ve only 30 members everyone must know everyone. Just tell the duty dodgers that, to be fair to everyone, they can’t sail again until they do their turn.

As an aside, running a race with a team less than three must be tough, so I’d have thought it was duties every ten weeks or so.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 19 at 9:43am
We do offer the double your subs to not do any duty and we only have one who takes that up out of 120 ish. Maybe that's the way to handle it.
Also a name and shame for those not turning up especially for repeat offenders.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 19 at 10:04am
Unfortunately after finding the CASC thing it appears theirs nothing you can do.
Another section of CASC states you cannot refuse membership to someone who can't afford fees, you have to accept what they are prepared to pay.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>