FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Job description

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 8:56pm
My 'Home' club has space for more boats/members during the 'season' but the winter series is usually fully subscribed with all spare berths occupied and he changing facilities maxed out.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 9:13pm
This topic is about the Strategy post at our governing body

All your small clubs and needs and individual wants are just a tiny piece of the huge jigsaw puzzle. The incredibly tiny minority who typically post here (12 at most) represent bugger all.

Think the bigger picture, not of yourselves.

Edited by ttc546 - 13 Jan 19 at 9:17pm
Chris
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 9:47pm
The bigger picture is water users..and whatever you think they number less than a couple of stadiums full of football fans... Niche.

Niche rules apply.

Corporate rules require corporate volumes, volumes of revenue, income stream and last I looked they don't have enough, try a corporate rules acid test, i.e. remove Olympic funding then see how far up that creek they'll be without a strategic paddle.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by ttc546

This topic is about the Strategy post at our governing body

All your small clubs and needs and individual wants are just a tiny piece of the huge jigsaw puzzle. The incredibly tiny minority who typically post here (12 at most) represent bugger all.

Given that Y&Y has historically been the vehicle to promote sailboat racing in the UK with an emphasis on Clubs and Classes, then I canít see what is wrong with the direction of travel.  A forum is merely a substitute for bar chat ... in this case between twelve curmudgeon who no doubt long for the glory days of the late 70ís.  

In all my time posting on this site, I have never thought that anyone takes a blind bit of notice, though I have learned a few things along the way that makes me more open minded to other peopleís perspectives.

My concern is that any strategic planning on the part of the RYA May focus on its own empire building and not on the sport of dinghy racing for which I have a particular interest.
Happily living in the past
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 10:54pm
A quick bit of mental arithmetic against the 2017 participation survey (https://www.pbo.co.uk/news/boating-watersports-seven-year-high-52066) suggests that water activities that fall under the RYA banner had something in excess of 1.5m participants, so that's quite a football stadium...
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 10:56pm
Well, I sort of think that it depends on which way the strategic planning is approached. And I guess the successful person might have a say in this. If its top-down...well I guess we get more of the same. If its grassroots-up, then we may get something more relevant to most of us on this forum (and beyond). All we can do is speculate. Most of the major sports, and I'm talking the likes of golf, tennis, cricket, rugby, and yes, even kickers of round balls, are worried about grassroots participation. What should that strategic planning look like for dinghy sailing? And what is our USP (just thought I'd add that in)?
NickM99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 11:22pm
The recent RYA webinars related to the future of sailing, identifying social trends and what clubs should do to retain membership (and hence racing), look to me like clear strategy to help small sailing clubs and the small boat sailor in the longer term.   
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by ttc546

The "12 regular posters" include someone who has outstanding information on what people are sailing through their PY work; someone who has been in the industry for 35 or so years; and someone who has been tracing worldwide trends in sailing participation for years.  Others here are very successful in other areas, such as training and building or rebuilding classes.
In other words, many of the people here are very, very aware of the bigger picture.

My other sport was run by a strategic management consultancy for some time. It was a disaster. The grass roots clubs and taxpayers were left with a multi-million dollar debt, and little else to show for the episode.

I've had a look at the curriculum for various degrees in sports administration. It's very apparent that the issues of grass roots participant sports are largely overlooked. If university business schools ignore that sort of complex issue, and a lot of other aspects such as SCOT (Social Construction of Technology) then isn't it reasonable to be concerned that their graduates may also ignore relevant and major issues?

Edited by Chris 249 - 13 Jan 19 at 11:53pm
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 19 at 7:12am
It would appear that upward trend of obesity matches trend of decline across general sports participation, so perhaps a multi sports platform committee needs to be looked at ?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 19 at 7:38am
Rereading the advert, I fit the credentials of having an interest in boating in all its aspects, and in sport in general. I fit none of the others. I just hope that the successful candidate has my love of boating and sport, welded to an excellent, analytical mind. Many sailors out there have those skills (chess on the water, after all), and can transfer them to an office environment.

Edited by Rupert - 14 Jan 19 at 7:38am
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>