FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Job description

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Job description
    Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 10:17am
The difference used to be, in business mistakes get punished, even that doesn't seem to happen these days at corporate and boardroom level, with massive bonuses being issued for failure. This then mirrored in the Public Sector with top earners rewarded come what may, often with golden hand shake payments to say goodbye, then re hired as 'consultants' later. The point of this diatribe? Professionalism at high level does not necessarily equal success, particularly where stakeholders, shareholders, or taxpayers, are footing the bill, it's simply put, high earnings for the boys. Do we want our Governing body to continue down this route? Probably not.

The problem they have, is their income stream is from members and Government sports funding, linked to the Olympics and as I once said to the owner of a particular boat building business exposed to Olympic classes they should have a strategy that at the very least acid tests that disappearing and be developing a plan B, which is us.

Us being multi role water users, once upon a time I couldn't really get by without being an RYA member, now I cheerfully and quite deliberately am not. They have incensed, outraged and disappointed me in equal measure over the years and I dare say I'm not alone, so, first call i would have thought would be to find out why that is.

Edited by iGRF - 16 Jan 19 at 10:22am
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 4:35pm
I am with iGRF, I was a member but cancelled when the RYA refused to support Thames Sailing Club when a marina was being developed on their patch because by doing so it would be against the interests of powerboaters.  

I also take comfort that my Club and Class Association by a fair wack on my behalf.   I doubt that Graeme and I not being members worries them too much, and I doubt that they will alter their offer to reengage with me.

I have first hand experiences of their committees and nothing convinces me that it’s direction of travel is the right one.
Happily living in the past
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 7:49pm
It's not only that, it's the fact that people like me could and would have helped them back in the day and didn't even ask for expenses remunerated.

I may be an irritating troll in this environment, but the real world experience I have and am still engaged in would be invaluable in formulating a strategy that would help them cope with the next ten years.

But there is no longer a mechanism, via a committee or meeting route whereby they could be even approached. Corporate rules would rather expend vast sums on equally inexperienced out of touch 'consultancys'. Employees would rather protect their own shallow competencies than expose themselves to the harsh light of market realism. It is an impossible situation, they have a destiny to continue to fail, and fail big, it makes me weep thinking about the myriad ways in which they are failing.

Edited by iGRF - 16 Jan 19 at 7:50pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 9:41pm
My experience of the RYA, despite this as, has been very positive. From advice on law to the training I've received to be an instructor, the people I have met who work in the regions and for Sailability, who have the exact interest in the sport and its people which seems unimportant here.
The instructor days, the workshops at conferences, all run by enthusiastic, knowledgeable people, from Amanda VS down.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 10:48pm
I’ve got to say that I’m with Rupert in terms of my personal experience. That’s not to say that I think they’re doing everything right - (all IMHO) I think there’s too much short-term thinking in the Youth, Junior and PP Squad stystem that has already lead to a lack of depth in quality in across the top Squads and I think they do a particularly poor job of communicating what they actually do to the wider water sports community, that perpetuates the opinions expressed I this thread.

If you’re part of a proactive Club that engages with the RYA, I suspect that you’ll have a more positive view of the organisation.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 11:23pm
They dump the kids, right at the moment they are forming decisions as to what to do with their life and leisure.
Certainly in windsurfing hence Team fifteen, there is no team sixteen. No idea what goes on in dinghys but I don't see anything structured for 18-30's

Edited by iGRF - 16 Jan 19 at 11:25pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 19 at 11:44pm
Nowt wrong with the people down at the grass roots (or those directly supporting them) but iGRFs T15 comment strikes a chord. I raced D1 and Raceboards pretty seriously for nearly 30 years and even at local level the RYA guys kept the T15 kids away from our regional, adult, race circuit so they never had a natural progression when T15 threw them out...... I know of one serious T15 sailor who was, luckily for her, taken under the wing of a local RB hotshot and went on to win a World RB championship. What she would have done if she hadn't been introduced to Raceboards is anybodys guess (but I'd lay good odds it wouldn't have involved any kind of sailing).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 16 Jan 19 at 11:59pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 19 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by iGRF

They dump the kids, right at the moment they are forming decisions as to what to do with their life and leisure.
Certainly in windsurfing hence Team fifteen, there is no team sixteen. No idea what goes on in dinghys but I don't see anything structured for 18-30's

few and far between are doing anything for that age group in sailing, even clubs that are proactive get stuck in draconian rules and sub-committees whilst trying to work out solutions and by the time they start moving on it it's all change again with new bods coming in to management and it gets churned over again.

if you want the top of the pyramid to be more active on that front then it starts with the clubs, clubs in turn need to have a major shake up with their own structure and practices.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 7:20am
Where Word Sailing lead, the RYA will follow?
Corporatism in all its glory?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 19 at 2:40pm
What by 'eck are the 8 pillars of impact?

Sounds like Finn sailors having a bar fight.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>