FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Job description

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Job description
    Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 5:18pm
We will die exactly because the grass roots sailors will stop turning up and helping run clubs, clubs will become businesses and costs will skyrocket, success will be measured in wins and profits not participation.

I stopped my occasional forays onto the national Raceboard circuit when the UKBSA merged with the BFA, farmed out the running to a corporate enterprise, doubled the entry fees overnight and then left the RB sailors standing on the shore in perfectly decent conditions 'cos the Formula Windsurfing hotshots had a minimum wind speed..........

Hopefully there will be pockets of resistance in my local clubs long enough for me to reach an age where it all becomes of academic interest.....

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 13 Jan 19 at 5:21pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 5:23pm
There are way, way too many clubs trying to support way, way, too few sailors. Something has to give. Rationalisation WILL happen. It NEEDS to happen. Corinthian clubs will always exist, but in todays world, it will be the minority. Tiz sad, but tiz the way of the NEW world. 

My own area of sailing area has WAY TOO MANY clubs competing for the same audience. It cant go on. The rose tinted specs of yester-year need to come off.

Hence the need for a Strategist with business experience

Edited by ttc546 - 13 Jan 19 at 5:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 5:33pm
@giraffe probably has the nub of it, we need to attract more non-sailors into the sport, who knows if a corporate approach can do that without alienating existing sailors. I do agree about too many clubs chasing too few racers but, given that probably only 10% of sailors race regularly maybe that is actually not the issue........

With that and the Brexit fiasco it's enough to drive a man to drink........ Now where's that corkscrew......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 5:42pm
My club is tiny only 35 active members, we run racing Saturday and Thursday, we are a RYA training centre, a lot of members are also members of other clubs, we are not going to close our successful small well run well funded club.
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 5:43pm
Did anyone say that it would? 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by 423zero

My club is tiny only 35 active members, we run racing Saturday and Thursday, we are a RYA training centre, a lot of members are also members of other clubs, we are not going to close our successful small well run well funded club.

Yeah. sorry, worded that badly, I wouldn't advocate any club that has enough members to continue to close or merge, I love my small holiday club, it has much to commend it. But it's inevitable, if the sport declines, that some clubs will be unable to maintain critical mass and will fall by the lakeside......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by ttc546

My own area of sailing area has WAY TOO MANY clubs competing for the same audience. It cant go on. The rose tinted specs of yester-year need to come off.

Do the potential sailors find the clubs or do the clubs generate the sailors?

If the former, then you are correct, but it could be that lots of little clubs are at the base of a pyramid that find and develop new participants.

Happily living in the past
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 8:18pm
Often there are several clubs in an area because each one has limited space. It often turns out that each club attracts a different set of people, too. So, lose a club, you may often lose many of the people from that club entirely.

To me, it is just a rerun of the "too many classes" nonsense spouted by people who don't like individuality, and don't really "get" that a particular niche boat is why someone was attracted to sailing in the first place.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by ttc546

There are way, way too many clubs trying to support way, way, too few sailors. Something has to give. Rationalisation WILL happen. It NEEDS to happen. Corinthian clubs will always exist, but in todays world, it will be the minority. Tiz sad, but tiz the way of the NEW world. 

Hence the need for a Strategist with business experience

Where's the evidence that Corinthian clubs will be in the minority?

sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
drifter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 8:35pm
Meanwhile, here in rural Oxfordshire, our membership is full, and the waiting list has a waiting list...Happy days.
Stewart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>