FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TruSail: training analytics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TruSail: training analytics
    Posted: 23 Feb 19 at 9:39pm
It is the bit that happens in Excel (or wherever) that interests me. You've got a few thousand numbers representing heel angle... but how do you take those and actually interpret them to say "you didn't hike hard enough" or "you're getting better at keeping it flat".

What about all the times the app records a heel angle of ten degrees, but it was because you were mid-tack? You need to excuse those ones!
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 11:26am
You'd have to link angle of heel to changes in direction, so a tack or big luff or bear away ( mark roundings, for instance) would be automatically excluded.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

It is the bit that happens in Excel (or wherever) that interests me. You've got a few thousand numbers representing heel angle... but how do you take those and actually interpret them to say "you didn't hike hard enough" or "you're getting better at keeping it flat".

What about all the times the app records a heel angle of ten degrees, but it was because you were mid-tack? You need to excuse those ones!

Depends what you want to see. If you want second by second playback, then just some smoothing would do fine. 

If you're looking descriptive statistics for the whole sail then you'd have to do some filtering. You could filter out heel during heading changes pretty easy. But if you sailed with 5 degrees leeward heel all the time it would average out, so the mean might look better. I guess you'd want to show average difference from upright, you might not then know if that was windward or leeward heel.

How you'd filter downwind i'm not sure, because I'd guess your targets would be different for different points of sail. If you had AWA measured you could filter based on that to group data by point of sail perhaps?
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 3:27pm
I think it is going to end up too difficult. In theory all the ideas seem fine, then when faced with real data the ability to say "the boat was between 3 and 8 degrees heeled during this reaching leg" ends up impossible.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 6:30pm
You can’t look at heel angle in isolation, out of context. So a single number answer won’t work. It needs to be viewed over time, in relation with heading, speed and ideally wind strength.

Edited by Peaky - 25 Feb 19 at 6:31pm
gonesailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gonesailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 19 at 7:04am
It is not too hard to detect context during track analysis or in real time.  I'm working on tacks (and jibes) analytics like now.  Looks like it will be ready for testing soon.
Pewit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pewit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 19 at 3:18pm
I think the main issue is to have a readily understandable real-time display which gives you data you can take in quickly from the corner of your eye, given the number of other variables you need to be looking at.
I've experimented with iRegatta and RaceQs on both watch and mast-mounted mobile phone and found it too hard to be able to switch focus between the screen and telltales, boats, wind, waves etc. Post race analysis with video is useful (when augmented with the data) but real time feedback would be much more useful and accelerate the improvement process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123