FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avoiding water-borne pathogens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avoiding water-borne pathogens
    Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 9:58pm
Looking at their website it appears they are going all out plastic pollution, probably haven't got manpower.
Pewit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pewit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Perhaps drop a line to Surfers Against Sewage they would be all over this.

I did that already back in June - not really interested as they only monitor the surfing beaches such as Polezeath nearby.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 8:58pm
https://www.sas.org.uk/
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 1:24pm
Perhaps drop a line to Surfers Against Sewage they would be all over this.
Pewit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pewit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 9:18am
Yes I agree about the wetsuit Vs dry suit issue. In fact I borrowed s dry suit to sail in a Weta in Rock in June which was great when it’s windy but overall I prefer a wetsuit.

Now I’m back in Sydney, I have to decide what to wear this weekend when it’s going to be a sunny 28 Deg and 15 knots of breeze. Skiff suit, wetsuit shorts or dry kayak trousers?

PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 9:03am
I’ve been going to Rock for over 50 years and doing all the things you mention both with and without a wetsuit (well I was young and foolish back then). 

I wouldn't assume that a wetsuit reduces the risk. In a wetsuit you are trapping whatever is in the water against the skin in a nice warm (hopefully) environment for several hours. And the liner may rub the skin exposing any microscopic weak points. 

Of course a dry suit might help, but it's perhaps a little inconvenient in mid summer  Disapprove
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 19 at 7:09am
I use Dettol, glad you highlighted this.
Pewit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pewit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 19 at 10:05pm
It’s anyone - although you are likely to have a more severe reaction if you have a compromised immune system and if you eat an infected oyster instead of being infected though a wound. You cannot tell if an oyster is infected by looking at it.

I’ve been going to Rock for over 50 years and doing all the things you mention both with and without a wetsuit (well I was young and foolish back then).

I have a house at Porthilly and there’s been an oyster farm at the entry to the bay for 10 years. However, now they process and clean the oysters at the farmhouse with the runoff water going into the bay. Plus there’s a freshwater stream and Porthilly is very shallow so the water is warmed as the tide comes in - all the ingredients Vibrio needs, I’d suggest.

I now use Milton tablets to disinfect my Dinghy boots and warm soapy water on the wetsuit and dry out after every use.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 19 at 6:40pm
Is it Shellfish sensitive people or anyone ? 
I have been to the area mentioned about half a dozen times last year with no ill effects, Kayaking and Surfing. 
Kayaking (wearing a wetsuit) you are getting up to knees wet and sitting in Kayak baking in the sun. Surfing, (wetsuit) and wet all day.
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 19 at 1:23pm
Christ thanks for the heads up!
Hope its under control now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>