FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

park run...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: park run...
    Posted: 31 Dec 18 at 5:36pm
I dunno I can think of a lot of sports and pastimes that have multiple clubs in small areas. It's mainly a function of facilities.

I do think it would be good to dream up a racing format that was better suited to irregular turnouts than series racing is. The days when a significant percentage of a club fleet could make enough races to have a crack at a series prize are gone at most clubs. Unfortunately so far I've failed to think of anything

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 18 at 6:03pm
We get about 50% completing enough races not to be counting a DNC. The last series (open to non members) had a total of 100 boats compete with 47 completing enough races.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 18 at 6:05pm
Don't think I understand the difference bdtween a "Park Run" race and a series race, if you just choose to treat every series race as an individual event.

All but two (I think) of our club races are grouped in series; but I for one treat every race as a "Park Run"; hardly ever look at the series results and was suprised to get a prize in the post this year.

On a nice Wednesday evening we can get 50+ boats out for a race (which is also part of a series)  but a small proportion of boats qualify for any given series.

It does make a mockery of prizes - as the winner is sometimes just the person who turned out most (though such people are often the best sailors and own the fastest boats too).

Personal handicaps and a beer token for every race won?

Edited by NickA - 31 Dec 18 at 6:09pm
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 10:08am
We constantly struggle with this, people don’t want commitment these days. 

Park Run is the ultimate easy option. No payment, no advanced entry, no rules (almost), no equipment .... turn up do it clear off ...

That’s what people want these days, Sailing is not a good fit with that mentality. 
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by NickA

Don't think I understand the difference bdtween a "Park Run" race and a series race, if you just choose to treat every series race as an individual event.

All but two (I think) of our club races are grouped in series; but I for one treat every race as a "Park Run"; hardly ever look at the series results and was suprised to get a prize in the post this year.

On a nice Wednesday evening we can get 50+ boats out for a race (which is also part of a series)  but a small proportion of boats qualify for any given series.

It does make a mockery of prizes - as the winner is sometimes just the person who turned out most (though such people are often the best sailors and own the fastest boats too).

Personal handicaps and a beer token for every race won?

im suggesting that don't treat sailing like we have always done, the difference is that park run rewards for personal achievement, series racing rewards the winner. 

the mass start individual races in my experience get the largest turnout even when compared to series turnouts across the fleets.  There is absolutely a need for a winner takes all in all in races and series racing.

series racing is almost always those that turn up most win, fair enough, but dull.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Old Timer

We constantly struggle with this, people don’t want commitment these days. 

Park Run is the ultimate easy option. No payment, no advanced entry, no rules (almost), no equipment .... turn up do it clear off ...

That’s what people want these days, Sailing is not a good fit with that mentality. 

your right about it being the ultimate easy option, but why is sailing not a good fit?  why cant we make it a good fit?  why not change some of the parameters, if it doesnt work what harm is there, change it back.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 12:58pm
I think series are the glue that hold sailing clubs together, however the length of series and number of discards have scope for tweaking.  The benefit of series are that they encourage a hardcore of regulars, therefore creating a virtuous circle for the less regular attendees, by ensuring that there are a worthwhile number of competitors to race against.

I would suggest that the “park run” is more of a cruise in company ... and a week I would take off to go to watch the rugby ... Chiefs Bristol this afternoon 
Happily living in the past
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 2:02pm
totally agree it's not for everyone, but neither is series racing or even one off races.  Cruising in company and solo also have a place.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 2:26pm
If you look at what the DCA do, there are plenty of cruises in company around. The caravan and camping boating group do meets, too. The Minisail have met at Keyhaven a few times to sail in company. In the CVRDA, winning isn't the main point, or shouldn't be. Clubs will have family weeks, or camping weekends. So, this stuff is out there, just as social running was before park run. Maybe there is a catalyst to make an umbrella organisation and popularize the image, drawing more people in.

Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 19 at 5:03pm
One thing Park run has in it's favour is its generally early on in the day, so once you've turned up, and ran for a bit you still have the rest of the day available for other things. I can't help thinking that moving from mid afternoons to mid mornings may help modern life sit better with racing dinghies and still allow other things to be fitted in on the same day
OK 2249
D-1 138
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>