FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star Sailors League December 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Sailors League December 2018
    Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 10:05pm
I think the interviews and background info they have on sailors is fantastic. The sailing world cup this year has been pretty good, but often the commentators don't have enough background info to make it really engaging despite decent camera work and analytics. 

The pre-race VTs and between races is super. The interview with Percy was probably the highlight of the broadcast. 

What it shows is how little the boat really matters. I love the variety of boats we have in the sport, but there is nothing wrong with slower boats for TV. 

I don't think it's getting the views it deserves. However, I notice the views are up on last year significantly (by the next morning each live stream has had 10k, last years round robin only have 2k views to date). The super Saturday last year got many more views, so I wouldn't be surprised if they see some significant viewership tomorrow. 
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 10:15pm
Looked at these figures last year, not sure how they are counted ? When first race was starting today it stated 349 viewers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 10:25pm
Well, there's three streams, Facebook, WS Youtube Channel and SSL YT Channel. 

Not sure about facebook, but WS has about 500 watching live at any one time, and SSL has about 1k. When the live stream finishes it shows total viewer, and that's been like 2k for the WS stream and 5k for SSL. Then, I think half the world will be watching this over our night, so they clock up a lot of views over night. Last nights SSL stream now has 11k and WS stream 4k. 

Last years final only has 11k to date, and the round robin 4k for each date. So basically, they've already got higher viewership for the round robin, and might get 3 or 4 x as many views for the finals this as last year. 
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 6:05am

What it shows is how little the boat really matters. I love the variety of boats we have in the sport, but there is nothing wrong with slower boats for TV. 

The Star is not really slow - used to have a PY similar to a 505 IIRC

rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Chris 249

Originally posted by rich96

None

Its a fantastic boat and been highly developed over the years.

The tiny section mast needs to be carefully looked after in breeze though !

A proper thoroughbred

None? As others have said, far from it.
Massively over-canvassed for a breeze upwind, well under-canvassed downwind in light airs (and that's from world champ Paul Elvstrom);
Extremely low boom;
Needs a very heavy crew (and as I understand it, one who is not too tall despite being heavy);
Even with careful looking after, has been susceptible to mast breakage for 80 years; when I was looking at getting one I was told to expect to break two or three masts during the learning process, and I was used to singlehanding an ancient half tonner which had a similar style of rig; 
Slams in chop;
Did, and may still, break booms downwind;
Lots of expensive gear for unremarkable speed.
Unusual rig that makes it hard to apply techniques to other classes (how many non spinnaker keelboats are there?)
Initially designed not as a thoroughbred, but as one of the many cheap little local club one designs that existed around Long Island Sound.

With all these 'issues' its astonishing that it has never been replaced/superceded by a modern two man keelboat ?

There's still nothing similar

If your half tonner had a similar rig to a Star that would be amazing - have you seen the diameter of a Star mast ?

Edited by rich96 - 08 Dec 18 at 6:10am
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 8:53am
You appear to have missed the part where I wrote quite clearly "That list isn't actually meant to denigrate the boat, but if people are going to apply the same level of criticism that is applied to the Laser to other boats then they will almost all cop criticism." (emphasis added). 

I was more responding to 432's reference to Laser design issues by noting that every boat has its own design issues and the Star is no exception. Yes, it does have design issues - but as you say it still has plenty of appeal so it can be seen as an example that our sport could be less critical of "design issues" in boats and see the big classes in a more positive and less design-centred light. 

Personally I'd reckon it would be a good thing if we were less worried about design issues in ODs and concentrated more on ensuring the health of the very few classes of wide appeal, which include the Star. The design obsession in similar-sized boats at the moment has seen the launch of an alphabet soup of 7m sportsboats, each competing for market share in a way that seems rather destructive.

Yes, I have seen the diameter of a Star mast. I didn't say my half has an "identical" rig to a Star. My half has an Etchells section (very light for a half) but the point was that like the Star, making a mistake on a runner could cost you the whole stick and despite the fact that (like many people who did IOR racing) I was used to such rigs, I was told to expect to break masts during the learning process if I got a Star.

Edited by Chris 249 - 08 Dec 18 at 9:13am
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 10:18am
Chris249,
I got where you were coming from, guessed about the mast, never seen bend like it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by rich96

The Star is not really slow - used to have a PY similar to a 505 IIRC

Are they that quick? Commentators said five knots upwind and ten downwind... doesnt sound that quick... but the tacking and gybing angles look small so VMG is prob pretty good...

But... I was really comparing to recent streamed world series type events like AC, Extreme Saiking Series, World Match Racing Tour. Plus the new additions to the Olympics of kites and foiling Nacra.

Edited by mozzy - 08 Dec 18 at 3:45pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 3:50pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 18 at 10:09am
Highlights of the final day, the full replay can be found on the SSL an WS channel too. 

What do people think about the knockout format?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>