FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Junior Winter Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jamie600 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junior Winter Kit
    Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 2:53pm
Just looking at what Santa needs to bring for the boy to keep him warm when doing his Topper zone squad training through the winter.

11 years old, currently wearing a 0.7mm Crewsaver long john, 3mm Gul thermal top, Crewsaver hikers and an Aquafleece.

There are two obvious choices - Crewsaver do a 3mm version of the long john but he is between sizes so I'm reluctant to get the smaller size in case of a sudden growth spurt and the larger size is way too big.

Other obvious choice is a Rooster Supertherm long john(like all the other kids...) but seems expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Supertherm alternative, or advise if there really is a measurable difference between a Supertherm and other brands?
RS600 1001
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 5:14pm
No idea if they make them in kids sizes but I just picked up a 3mm Gul code zero long john from P&B for £100 which I was very happy with and is a big step up on the 1mm rooster kit I was shivering in
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 5:36pm
I was looking at a Zhik kids steamer for my crew to eek out some more sails, at £85 seemed like good value, but I don’t know how warm they are.
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 7:00pm
Don't buy anything from dinghy brands, check out brands like Rip Curl their flashbomb steamer stuff is good, Oneil, in fact any surf, windsurf, kitesurf brand will be more cost effective in the wetsuit arena. Zhik? is the worse rip off I've come across avoid it like the plague.

As dinghy sailors just about everything that is aimed at us is a total rip off, go to other markets where maybe there is more volume or better consumer ethics... Especially for kids where you should make certain they are not charging vat which is 20%, something I've not seen reduced that often in dinghy world.
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 7:40pm
I've had 2 of the gul code zero 3mm long johns now and both have been fantastic.

I've also tried the rooster supertherm long john which was very good. Both of these have the ability to put pads behind them too

My winter kit is;

-Wolley hat (any seems to be fine) + some festive ear muffs 
-Any Rash vest
-3mm Code zero long john
-Rooster 1.5mm thermaflex top (wish i would have gotten the 4mm supertherm though) 
-Aqua fleece/Spray top (not noticed any difference other than the aquafleece is nicer to put on and take off when wet)
-gloves are a tough one, they need to fit well and keep water out to keep the warmth. I'm currently using gill 3 seasons gloves but might look to change them if I can find something better at the dinghy show
-Socks, I use knee length seal skin socks, they're waterproof and work really really well as long as you don't put other socks underneath them 
-Boots again are preference, I've found socks to be the key to feet warmth as any boots will do
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 9:51pm
What's wrong with a 30 quid eBay wetsuit? It's only going to fit for one winter anyway. Does the same job, been using them for decades. As an adult, I get several seasons from one.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 12:57pm
Thanks all, very good advice as always. Never fully considered the amount of usage, on that basis he is definitely not getting a supertherm at c.£140!
RS600 1001
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 4:16pm
I think clubs in an area could try to organise a bring and buy sail (swap shop) for junior kit.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 7:41pm
When my boy was that age in squads it was layering that kept him warm.

Poly pro top and trousers under rooster race skin long john and hot top, with hikers over. Gill thermal aqua fleece on the top.

Neck gaiter and a good hat.

For feet, poly pro socks under wet socks in boots.

Another top tip, a pair of vinyl surgical type gloves under neoprene gloves make them much warmer.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Jamie600

Thanks all, very good advice as always. Never fully considered the amount of usage, on that basis he is definitely not getting a supertherm at c.£140!

I guess that’s a factor in all the decisions. I think the Supertherm is an awesome bit of kit and justified because it gets as many as 60-70 wears a year. It seems a false economy to save money on kit when spending on boats and lessons: amazing how much time on the water is wasted or becomes a negative experience due to inadequate clothing being worn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>