FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS200 Main Halyard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mozzy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 5:45pm
Yeah, that would be fine.

However, it's a big unit right where the jib sheet catches during tacks. I'd want the lowest possible profile there.

Plus it costs 6x as much.

The main benefit to the spinlock is it doesn't accidentally re cleat. Not really a design advantage on a main halyard.

I'd really just stick with a clam cleat. There is no reason it should slip with a good halyard. More so if you don't run the halyard through it when hoisting then they should never wear out.
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 6:11pm
There are 2 versions of this cleat.

The silver coloured one is powder coated and bits tend to chip off the surface.

The less visually attractive one is a greyish colour and is anodised.  This version is vastly superior.
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 6:43pm
It is a complete pain if the haliyard slips or even stretches, as it mess up all the settings on the rig. I never sorted this out with different haliyards or other tricks. One thing that did work ( but was a bit of a hassle), was to take the halyard from the cleat up to the goose neck and round it. Put a bight in the lower bit and get a 2:1 from the gooseneck to wind the tension on the haliyard, then tie it off. Not pretty but it wouldn't move from there.
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 7:16pm
Not allowed to make it 2:1 due to class rules

Replace the cleat with an anodised version not the cheaper silver one

Move the (I assume you use a bobble in the end of it) 6 inches so the rope cleats in a new spot at the bottom 

If the halyard even remotely looks worn/old just replace it with some 4mm Kingfisher evo race (has to be dyneema core or kevlar or it will stretch/snap). The mast is 7m~ long so 15m will give you plenty. 

Every 3 months chop 6 inches off, every year end for end it, every 2 replace it. Always make sure the cleat gets a wash after sailing as they don't take much to start corroding. Obviously this differs depending on how much use it gets.

If yours is anything like mine the location of the cleat + block means you cant pull the halyard up without it going through the cleat. If so then tie a new block onto the mast step and route it that way. Pic below 

mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 8:25pm
Are you sure?

The cleat should line up with the front side of the exit hole, so offset by about 5mm. If you hoist with the halyard out of the cleat and to aft of the cleat it will run around the cleat. The offset isn't obvious, but is there. But even without the offset it should be possible to hoist with it out of the cleat and not going in, just there will be a tad more friction as it bends around the outside of the cleat.

Its not a massive issue if you hoist through the cleat, but you'l probably be replacing it each season. I've never had to replace mine, and that's with the silver version.  

YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 8:38pm
It was the friction I didn't like. The additional benefit of attaching the block to the mast step is that it wont eventually pull the rivet from the top of the lacing eye out the mast and leave a gaping hole

Edited by ClubRacer - 20 Nov 18 at 8:40pm
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 18 at 8:49pm
Ha, yeah, no pulling the block off is something that's happened to me, trying to hoist without it in a rush for race!
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
Charliecat5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Charliecat5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 9:28am
Thanks all for your responses.  I think a new cleat and potentially a new block on the mast step is in order.  Particularly as the block has already come off!  
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 9:45am
This is a really nice article (probably ott for most), but shows some really neat options for rigging the boat.  Also covers most of the rigging in one photo or another.
http://www.rsireland.com/tips/rs-200-mods

Oinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 18 at 9:12pm
I've trashed so many halliards on my 400 over the years, and yet again this last weekend. There is an issue with an edge in the mast sheave that we've tried to file down, but to little effect. When this next one goes, it'll be a wire halliard on a hook up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12