FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavyweight boat choice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavyweight boat choice.
    Posted: 27 Nov 18 at 7:48pm
What are Finns like to sail ?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 18 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Dangerousday

A lay off in the sense that I switched to board sailing.
They don't have much of waterline beam either  Wink

So did I, for nearly 30 years, didn't help one jot without a boom to hang onto. My return boat was the Spice, a twin trapeze nearly skiff, pretty stable (certainly compared to a 300) and not at all radical but I still fall over a lot. TBF I am a good few years older than you DD (not quite old enough to be your father but...) so maybe I have something of an excuse.

I think you need to go and sail some now, the Finn and 300 probably couldn't be more different so it shouldn't take more than around 90 seconds in each to decide which one is not for you.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 27 Nov 18 at 9:07pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Dangerousday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dangerousday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 18 at 10:21pm
Spice, wasn't that another one of the late 90s boats, as per the thread I started in development section?

107kg for a Finn - just looked it up. Seems quite a lot, nearly 2 Lasers worth. How much lead is in the thing? Hope that includes the plate too?
Don't know if my 'composite'Phantom was much different.
Came across the K1 earlier whilst clicking through the forum. 125kg and that includes 62kg keel.
That metal plate probably weighs more than my board!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 18 at 9:45am
Spice was launched in '96, a Buzz with an ISO rig and extra wire (more or less). I have loved mine but they were not successful.

Finn is a heavy old boat but with a carbon rig probably still comes in at under 130kg (hull inc CB min 116kg) and, yes the CB does weigh more than your board at 11-13kg. A half decent Phantom should weigh half that or less ready to sail.

That K1 weighs the same as a GP (and much less than a Wayfarer!).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 28 Nov 18 at 9:47am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 18 at 5:46pm
K1 is nice, carries weight well, and is very forgiving, yet the generous sail area makes it enjoyable to sail in lighter conditions.

Spoken by a biased K1 owner of 100 kg,
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dangerousday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 18 at 4:25pm
I've just agreed to buy another Phantom. Wood as the taxman says "NO" to a plastic one, but looks to be much, much nicer than the last one. Not intending to go travelling with, just Club use so wood/plastic is more a maintenance thing than anything.
Just remembered that a sailor at the club I had last one at thought it had a Fireball mast. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dangerousday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 18 at 1:31am
I forgot about the aches. Perhaps its the senility thats set in over last 10 years. More probably the wear and tear since then on the body, however:
I have had a good few hours today in Phantom 609 - a Claridge build wood self drainer. It is much nicer than the last one. I need more time in it to get best out of it (on the fly rig rake is new to me). It needs a new mainsheet ratchet block, one that actually does something more than make 'click, click' noises.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 18 at 9:42am
Good to hear you're pleased with the new boat.  Thumbs Up If it's any consolation the aches are non boat specific.........

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 23 Dec 18 at 9:43am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345