FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavyweight boat choice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavyweight boat choice.
    Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 4:04pm
Most sailors at club level are too static and lazy to sail a 300, which is why there’s pictures of them upside down.  They are pretty forgiving if your prepared to put some effort in,  it if you want to jump in and look like a sailing legend straight off then they are not the boat for you.

That said if prepared to put some effort in they are very quick and civilized
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 4:08pm
The OP is 50 and 100+kg and returning to dinghies after a lay off......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 4:28pm
That’s not where you were going with your comments, age isn’t important if you’re fit and prepared, plenty of lazy 20 yr olds. Some fast sailors north of 100 kg too, but I was trying to point out it’s a boat you have to work at to get up that curve
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 4:52pm
I think it's fair to say the 300 is not an easy boat to sail though, which is where I was going with my comments.

TBF I haven't sailed one (would love to BTW) so I don't know how much more difficult than a Blaze/Finn/Phantom they are but, as an ex MPS sailor you had some experience of tricky boats before coming to the 300 so if you had a learning curve...........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 5:43pm
As an overweight 50 something myself I can't say I've tried to sail boats like an RS300 or 600, let alone an MPS. But I've seen plenty of my pals do that and spend a lot of time upside down before selling said boat and returning to their Solos or whatever. And some of these guys were not bad club racers in their 40s and 50s, so not sure what that means other than I think these could be boats for younger guys. But if someone of the older/unfit persuasion can have the persistence to crack something like an MPS, good for them but I think they will be in a minority. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 5:54pm
A youngish (30s) very fit and adventurous (he does flying suit sky diving so he's completely bonkers) mate bought a MPS, had some professional training and, eventually, sold it having never got to grips with it. He replaced it with a L3k which he single hands off the wire, three sails up and is having a ball with it.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Dangerousday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dangerousday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 6:49pm
A lay off in the sense that I switched to board sailing.
They don't have much of waterline beam either  Wink
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 18 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Dangerousday

Sorry GRF, the Finn does sound tempting.

They do look inviting, then you see the flat chunk of metal in the middle, and you try to pick one up without a crane..
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 18 at 1:54pm
Then you sail one and realise what an amazing boat it is
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 18 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by rich96

Then you sail one and realise what an amazing boat it is

I'm intrigued. Define amazing for me ?

Amazingly heavy?
Amazingly slow?
Amazingly ponderous?
Amazingly expensive?

I mean seriously what is it about a 1949 model almost keelboat that would give me a hernia without a second look, that makes it amazing?

No, don't tell me.. there it is in the specs, length 4.5, sail 10.6, PY 1060.. it's a Bandit of course.. that's the attraction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>