3 [11.11%]
1 [3.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amateur Sailor of the Year
    Posted: 19 Oct 18 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

For those who genuinely do worry about their mid fleet result being affected by some pros, ringers and parachute squaddies at the front, let me enlighten you....

Coming 50th with 10 of them ahead of you carries a lot more credibility than 40th in a noddy class.

I ultimately share Jim and Dan’s view- I think it’s great that I can hand on heart say I’ve raced against the best of my generation, and the best of many more in adult classes.

As a side note The fact that women are punching hard in the top of the more prestigious fleets is welcome news; gender was never a factor down my end of the results anyway- that was ultimately one of the appealing factors of dinghy sailing as a kid, it wasn’t dominated by the football team pricks who couldn’t deal with a girl being better than them at something.

So which "Noddy" classes get turnouts upwards of 40 boats?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 18 at 5:52pm
Minisails probably get highest percentage turn out for Nationals for number of members of any class  'Noddy class' or 'first class superdooper class', I would estimate 25% of membership turns out for Nationals.
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 18 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

A word about amateurs.
The Olympians and wannabe Olympians are not professionals per se. They are Corinthians funded by the lottery system to train and race “full time”, and will “earn” far less than grads of the same age of which the vast majority will go on travel and equipment. “Taxable” income per se will be negligible. Unless Daddy is rich of course.
They got to be in this position through demonstrating talent, ability, determination, and proving it regularly in international competition.
That is different from getting £900 a day sailing a racing yacht professionally.
Any of the Olympic or even wannabe guys/ girls may have coaches and be fit etc but would cuff mere national champions even if they had been on the sofa for 2 years. Sailing is a skills and experience game - anyone can get fit.
Similarly, vast majority of sailors would only get incrementally better with 200 days in a year of coached training and racing, even if they didn’t burn out. “Trainability” is apparently a very sought after quality in any sportsperson.

This. So much this
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 18 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Chris 249

Absolutely.

What other traditional adult class has achieved 100+ boats at a Championship?

Won't many of them do it, if you call it a worlds, hold it in their stronghold and allow open entry?
[/QUOTE]

The GPs also got 105 to go to Barbados. Hardly a GP stronghold.

Both these "world" championships were a who's who of dinghy sailing with many pure corinthian competitors and competitors who take a wage from the sport. 
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 18 at 11:34pm
Yep, Barbados was a good effort and obviously anyone who can beat Nick Craig is damn good - but it was still an overwhelmingly British/Irish fleet, like the class itself. Yes, the UK is one of the world's top sailing nations without a doubt, but the point is that the GP14 class is still not a global class in the sense of Lasers, RSXs, Fireballs, 505s, OKs, Snipes and many others and therefore its worlds can be seen in a different light.

With respect to the winners, calling them a "who's who" may be rather British-centric. Even ignoring Olympians, where was Thiess Bosch? Brad Russell? Cam Brown? Chris Dance? Luke Arnone and Noble Reynoso? Surely not all of the who's who of dinghy sailing come from England, Ireland, Sri Lanka and Barbados?  Don't some Kiwis, Euros, Americans and Australians sail a little bit? Smile

I'm not taking aim at GP14s since at least one class I sail, own and love is in the same sort of position. It's just that it's arguable that we should recognise the enormous difference between the worldwide spread of various International classes, and which ones have truly global fleets.

sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 18 at 7:07am
Sorry, I should have put UK sailing - my mistake :)

But I wouldn't say any of the options are from truly global competition, though if won any of them obviously I'd be highly delighted!

Edited by Paramedic - 23 Oct 18 at 7:08am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 18 at 1:33pm
Last 24 hours of voting for this.... 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 18 at 8:57am
Maria Stanley voted the winner and announced at awards last night... not seen much press on it yet. Not sure who won the other awards. 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 18 at 1:31pm
Can't say I've ever heard mention of her, but great that a woman gets it and on merit, not that it's unheard of that Cathy Foster was handy back in the day I recall.
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 18 at 1:51pm
A bit of a shame that her crew never got a mention. I always feel for the crews when they do not get any credit  Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>