FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy instructors?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rumpsteak View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rumpsteak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy instructors?!
    Posted: 22 Dec 05 at 9:00pm

Hi chaps,

I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if I've stuck this in the right thread!

Anyway, I'm a dinghy instructor and I worked this season for PGL, teaching kids etc, got home got bored and went off and did 5 weeks for Mark Warner on the Greek island of Lemnos. Really enjoyed it all and I've now been offered a Mark Warner job doing Dinghy Instructing at Palm Beach in Turkey for the full 2006 season.

I'm kind of taken to the lifestyle and plan to do it for a while and I am wondering if Mark Warner is the best resort company for instructing. I applied to Neilson and the rang me for an interview 2 hours after I sent my confirmation and deposit to Mark Warner, so I had to turn them down, especially after the training Mark Warner are offering me before I go. I'd really like to work for Neilson at some stage. Are there any instructors here who have worked for Sunsail, Mark Warner or Neilson before, and if so how do they compare?

Cheers!

Quagers View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 06 at 2:08pm

not worked, but know a few people who have and have been on holiday with both Neilson and sunsail. the general consensus is that Neilson is the sailors choice for holidaying and they seem to offer the more advanced courses and have more advanced kit. Sunsail seem to look after their instructors better but is mainly complete beginner courses (lots of pico's and topaz's) Have no clue about Mark Warner or what the pay's like for any of them.

Hope i helped

foaminatthedeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 06 at 6:12pm

Neilson have a reputation for treating there staff badly, but they do give year round work with winter seasons, they used to have the best range of boats but I am not sure this is true now. (only been to Port Helly)

I worked for sunsail for 2 years, had a fantastic time. The staff were treated ok but not great(down to managers). The boats were well looked after and the w/s kit was ok for begginner/intermedates. I ve heard that they don't treat the staff to well. As for courses you'll do a lot of beginner stuff (so do all newly qualifed instructors ) but they did run the advance courses too

Many instructors look down on Mark Warner, they used to employ the instructors that got fired from Sunsail, as for there training as an SI I would look at it as a disadvantage on your CV. Having said that my best mate worked for MW for two years and he is a moderatly compitent SI (thats for you dan) and a fantastic W/S instructor, he had a fantastic time.

If you want to work some ware cool get a job with Minorker Sailing (spelt wrong) they are ment to fair to the staff and have the best range of boats around.

Each centre is different and the manager and SI will make it good or bad, weither you have a good season is down to the people your with. The money from all of them will be poor (you do go sailing in the med every day though).

I had the time of my life only gave up because the boddy couldnt take the drinking any more.

All this is just IMHO and I know others have a different view.

Lark 2170
 Post Reply Post Reply