FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topper Omega mast bend illusion??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topper Omega mast bend illusion??
    Posted: 16 Sep 18 at 4:41pm
My Club's in the market for a Wayfarer replacement as our old one is now too patched to go on, the Topper Omega is a possibility so I had a look at a few vids and came across this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OHI2pvjs8

It's an Omega sailing on Marine lake. 

Have a look at the mast bend at about 44secs in. It maybe distorted by the camera. What do you think? 

BTW I think the Omega has lowers it definitely has a gnav
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 18 at 7:46pm
I used to sail one of these on a regular basis, can't remember mast bend like that  LOL I think they should have a chat with Mozzy, he will give them a few tips on making videos.
Suffers similar problem to Bahia, very difficult to right, I am 12 stone and can't right a Bahia standing on tip of blade, this is supposed to be a training familly boat.
Have a look at the Hartley 15, only rotomold I have sailed that could challenge top Laser sailors at my club.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 18 at 8:15pm
Camera.
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 8:35am
yes, something has been picked up by the camera and distorted, however aside from the exaggeration of the camera is that style of mast bend actually happening but to a lesser extent?

Its bending in all the places that I would expect if the lowers were too tight and the hull flexing in the gusts allowing the uppers to become loose.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 9:17am
My impression is that there's water on the lens causing all the rippling and there's so much distortion it would be unwise to draw conclusions.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 9:44am
It's not the camera it's 'stabilisation' during editing. If you have almost smooth footage, then a good stabilisation software can rid the footage of some camera shake/wobble. But good software to do this costs a lot and still doesn't work on very shaky footage. 

When you upload to YouTube a few years ago it used to offer to stabilise your footage if it detected shaking. Unfortunately YouTube software isn't that great either and it always end up with jelly look like this!
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 3:05pm
If the mast bent like that it would be very obvious to the sailors (and it would quite likely break). Definitely a camera/software issue.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply