New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: How do you prepare a dinghy to be stored in winter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do you prepare a dinghy to be stored in winter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anibal View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote anibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you prepare a dinghy to be stored in winter
    Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 2:25pm
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and I apologize if this topic doesn't belong here. I searched for existing posts and couldn't find anything.

I just bought my first dinghy (Topaz Vibe) and I plan to store it outside at the marina in the yard. What are the recommendations for preparing it for a safe storage during winter. I'm in Montreal so we're talking about lots of snow, ice and temperatures as cold as -30C (-22F). 

I'm planning on taking the sails, the rudder and centre board (as well as the sheets) home for storage at room temperature and away from the elements. Not sure if I should leave the mast/boom with the hull or not.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Anibal
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 5:11pm
Anything you can get home do it, including mast and boom, I would turn it upside down, cover it, tie it down well, (knock stakes into the ground).
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 8:49pm
Bungs in or bungs out, I wonder?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 8:53pm
In but loose?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 8:58pm
probably out, but tape gauze over holes prevent creatures getting in, apparently mice can get through a hole has small as a pencil.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 9:04pm
they will eat through the gauze if they want to get in.....

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 9:13pm
I don't know about the Vibe, which is a different plastic, but the standard Topper dinghy gets horribly brittle at sub zero temperatures, to the extent that if its knocked hard it shatters. Its probably worth contacting the makers to see what they know about the plastic and v low temperatures, (perhaps not much!). If it is going to be vulnerable to damage when cold you'll want to bear that in mind when deciding where in the yard to put it.

Edited by JimC - 03 Sep 18 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply