FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Vareo for handicap racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EagleEyeEmpire View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EagleEyeEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS Vareo for handicap racing
    Posted: 01 Sep 18 at 6:12pm
Hi, 
I have been looking for a new single handed dinghy to use for racing. I think my best option is an RS Vareo, as it has a relatively good handicap, at 1090. Are there any other options suitable for me and is there anywhere in the UK where I could go to see one in action. I am 15 and weigh 15 stone,
Thanks
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 18 at 8:53pm
If you want racing, stop looking at handicap numbers and look instead at boats you like the look of that might suit your build and ability and fleets near you.

Post Options Post Options   Quote EagleEyeEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 18 at 9:09pm
There are not many racing fleets around me for single handers, and as my sailing club is quite small, they only race handicap
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 18 at 9:12pm
If you feel the boat is right for you then that’s the correct answer, wouldn’t worry about one design or handicap chatter, go out sail, race, have fun.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 18 at 9:29pm
Spot on Oli.  Thumbs Up
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 18 at 10:00pm
Where do you sail?

At 15st I'd be looking at OKs, Phantoms, Finns and maybe Supernova but it really does depend on what else is at your club, what are the typical courses, what your budget is.

Edited by craiggo - 01 Sep 18 at 10:01pm
OK 2129
RS200 411

Post Options Post Options   Quote EagleEyeEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 18 at 8:27am
My club has a couple of phantoms, a few D-zeros and a few contenders. Not looking to spend more than 3000
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 18 at 8:45am
Where do you sail? Any boat with a spinnaker is going to struggle to sail to it's handicap on a small lake, the Vario in particular as it is reputed to be not so fast upwind. 

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Post Options Post Options   Quote EagleEyeEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 18 at 9:20am
I sail on a river so each race   we do normally has equal time up and down wind
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 18 at 9:32am
Narrow river or wide open estuary? If narrow you would be much better without a trapeze or spinnaker, both make it much harder to sail to the handicap on confined waters. Phantom would be a good choice and you could get a modern(ish) boat with a carbon rig for around your budget.

Also bare in mind assy spinnakers don't go dead downwind (Sym kites do but no singlehander has one) and trapeze is not usable on a run either. Since the PN will take into account both you will struggle to sail to handicap.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 02 Sep 18 at 9:54am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>