FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A new class of dinghy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 54>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 18 at 9:10pm
The Tango and the Zephyr were both aluminium hulled. The only Tango I knew was dented to hell.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 7:40am
Rotomoulding with long fibres in there wold not work- you wouldn't get any wet out or adhesion. With short fibres 10-15mm it would turn into a complete mess with balls of resin and fibre rolling around the mold ( a bit like a compost tumbler if you have ever used one). The only chance is milled fibres 0.1mm long. This could give some improvements in properties even though as they are short, this would be very limited in how much you could get in without compromising the flow of the polymer, so maybe not a significant plus side and a lot more defects and production issues. I have seen that people have used filler additions to PE and got stiffness enhancements, at the expense of reducing the strength, but even so you are orders of magnitude away from the stiffness of a long fibre composite.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 8:40am
ABS and ASA were materials popularised by the Windsurfing and Garage door industry, and it is my understanding could be combined with reinforcements, possibly bonded into the structure in a way that would be unacheivable with rotomoulding, though I suspect that the trade off might be in longitivity and UV degradation; I wonder if the answer to an affordable, light, stiff and robust racing dinghy lies down this path?
Happily living in the past
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 1:10pm
What's the competitive life for a rotomoulded boat?
I think when you look at the cost of a bare hull from say Winder and divide it by age of the oldest example to make the top third of a nationals or something, the cost per year of 'cheaper' plastic technology probably looks excessive.
Beach toys and basic training are a different market of course.
And you have to bang out a lot of rotohulls before it's cheaper than manual GRP I suspect. Maybe modern tooling can make smaller production runs viable though?

In either case a lot of the cost of a boat is 'NRE' that's non recurrent engineering. The cost of design, development and tooling. Another big slice is the difference between unit works cost and unit retail cost. I.e. if you have a factory in China producing canoes, the factory gate price per unit by the container load will be much less than the break-even retail cost. Even a bespoke boat builder has 'selling' costs. Ranging from time spent talking to potential customers, through advertising, attending shows, supporting 'works' boats etc.
As you up the numbers to talk about rotomould markets, you need serious infrastructure.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 3:42pm
I know I am going to get shot down for this - but give it a decade and I wonder if it will be possible to just print out a hull using all sorts of cool materials. Boat builders will just morph into owners of a template that can be purchased on-line as well as a small industry of people that will fit your hull out for you if you do not want to do it yourself. Roll on the revolution!
H2 #115
Dougaldog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 4:11pm
gosh Rupert - you've rattled a few of the old brain cells there - the Tango! No folks, not the sugary orange drink so beloved by the young, but the Peter Milne designed dinghy, aluminium hull and polypropylene  decks.....a pretty looking boat but sadly, yet another designed destined for the 'Lost Classes' list! But thank you Rupert for the reminder....

Dougal

Dougal H
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 4:51pm
I was trying to remember the origins of the Tango a few weeks ago, as I was considering the merits of a pressed aluminium lightweight pram dingy to keep in a dinghy rack ... nobody seems to do pressed aluminium boats these days.
Happily living in the past
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by H2

I know I am going to get shot down for this - but give it a decade and I wonder if it will be possible to just print out a hull using all sorts of cool materials. Boat builders will just morph into owners of a template that can be purchased on-line as well as a small industry of people that will fit your hull out for you if you do not want to do it yourself. Roll on the revolution!

No quite the contrary, I mentioned the idea back earlier in the thread and included a link to a 3d printing company with a machine big enough to print a hull in titanium as a radical example, but it could also work with other cheaper materials ABS for example and being 3D printed a hollow wall could be used to keep the weight low, lots of possibilities.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 6:16pm
I wonder what the rumoured RS Foiler will be made from?
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

I wonder what the rumoured RS Foiler will be made from?

Tin?

Everything I say is my opinion, honest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 54>