FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buoyant foam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buoyant foam
    Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 9:40am
Is their a buoyant foam available that doesn't take up water ?
Looking for something fairly rigid too and that can be shaped.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 9:58am
Dow Floormate doesn't take up much water. I've used it for boats.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 10:06am
Would this stuff do ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=styrofoam+block&_frs=1

Would you be able to lay GRP straight on to this once you have required shape ?

Looking to increase buoyancy at stern of Sprint, intend to fill both sides of deck, going forwards approx' 18", will put 2 ports through to maintain drainage, with flaps to prevent water ingress.

Edited by 423zero - 24 Aug 18 at 10:33am
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 12:00pm
Dow Floormate is styrofoam, so basically yes. However there are an awful lot of grades of styrofoam, and when I researched it they seemed to vary greatly in the amount of water they take up. I'm not sure to what extent you can get spec sheets from ebay vendors or even trust them to send what the spec sheet says.

You can put an epoxy/glass layup on styrofoam, but I'm pretty sure polyester will reduce it to a sticky mess.

Edited by JimC - 24 Aug 18 at 12:02pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 6:02pm
May try to deck over, I have access to sheets of glossy white GRP.
Have seen foam react, don't fancy spending hours shaping something to see it melt.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 6:21pm
Go down to the nettles in most clubs and you'll find an old sailboard or two, lots of them are filled with a good quality low density styrofoam. Mistral, F2, Fanatic are probably best of the old ones..
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 6:45pm
Must have cut up 30 of these boards last time we had a skip, hardly any abandoned boats or anything else really, we have half a dozen large blue barrels full of sails and dozens of masts and booms.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 7:42pm
The clue is in the name, "styrofoam/polystyrene". The solvent in polyester resin is 'styrene' and will dissolve styrofoam with extreme prejudice.

Also polystyrene (and polyester resin based gap) absorb water to varying degrees.

Most early high performance sailboards were constructed with epoxy and polystyrene when surfboards and early/lower tech sailboards used PU foam and polyester resin.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply