FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Wetsuit recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Wetsuit recommendations
    Posted: 21 Aug 18 at 1:11pm
I would personally avoid ION for main wetsuits, they are all super heavy compared to O'Neill's technobutter ranges - although their accessories are fantastic, so I'm not knocking the brand across the board.

Pryde do some good dinghy long johns, but other than that, I'd check out Mike Lennon's stuff:

I've got mixed opinions on dinghy wetsuits- Graeme is right in that they are overpriced and often crap material with poor stretch and poor seaming.  But at the end of the day, whilst a surf suit might be technically superior, there's a lot more snagging on dinghies, so a reinforced butt and knees does make sense ... hence why I like the Pryde stuff as it's a cross over between disciplines.   
Guy Mayger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guy Mayger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 18 at 1:17pm
Best suit I've worn... by a mile!
http://www.lennonsails.com/product-range.html
Warm and dry. The Thermalite Autumn, Winter, Spring will see you through most of the year.
Register and get 10% off.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 18 at 1:19pm
My last two wetsuit purchases have been fro Decathlon, a couple of ¾ leg 'skiff suits' and a short sleeved summer dinghy suit. The former have been used for 9 summers, one drying, t'other in use and are still pretty good (TBF 9 year old neoprene is not going to be as soft and flexible as when new). The dinghy suit has had less use over the 6 or 7 years I've had it and is still soft and very nice to wear. they all have knees and bums reinforced with what looks like a coarse knitted nylon outer skin which has proved very hard wearing indeed. Skiff suits were about £30, dinghy suit £60ish IIRC.

They don't seem to do either of those anymore but this is similar to the skiff suit and only £30 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-mens-kayaking-wetsuit-id_8387608.html

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 21 Aug 18 at 1:24pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 18 at 2:44pm
I would add a good word for Decathlon kit. Even though I couldn't find a wetsuit to fit me at the time (being vertically challenged and somewhat rounder than I ought to be) but their dinghy boots fitted my hobbit feet and lasted about 8-10 years I think.

I lucked out & bought a pair of Musto wetsuits - steamer & shorty - on Black Friday last autumn. Got the pair for about a ton and both are very good.
Nick
D-Zero 316

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 18 at 5:37pm
I wear Decathlon side Zip boots, first class and a third of the next brands price.
I use clothing from a mix of water sports I do, Kayaking, Sailing and Surfing.
When sailing the Minimum I wear is shorts and rash vest, then a Sola spray top (Kayaking).
Next level, Gul wetsuit (surfing) always have a rash vest under this, any cooler I will put a spray top on, always with Decathlon boots.
Winter I use Gill dry suit with Crew saver thermal/breathable under garment, pair of socks over the latex boots and sailing boots on top.
Gloves are poundland work gloves and a pair of fingerless Gel gloves over these.
Always wear a cap.
In conclusion all clothes and equipment I have got from Decathlon have matched well known brands for a fraction of cost.

Edited by 423zero - 21 Aug 18 at 5:44pm
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 18 at 9:33am
one more vote for Lennon here
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 18 at 4:08pm
Thanks for all the suggestions - I did try and get a Lennon suit but none in my size so ended up with a Gul code zero in 2/3mm for £100 in the sales which I am very happy with and does what I was after!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 18 at 4:23pm
As I see it none of these wetsuits offer any advantage over the Laser.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 18 at 4:24pm
they don't catch on the back corner when you gybe. so def an advantage over the laser.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 18 at 7:50am
But should anyone wearing a wetsuit be considered to be part of the PY committee's conspiracy theory or should wetsuits only be confined to handicap racing deviants? Personally I have been waiting for a wetsuit shaped like a Laser to come along.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>