FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inclusive yacht sailing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inclusive yacht sailing
    Posted: 20 Jul 18 at 9:12pm
This forum seems a bit dead.
So here is something to chew on.
My brother and I have 'adapted' a Corby 26 for using as a racing yacht with a wheelchair user.Thanks to Mr Corby's design of moving the tiller pivot forward in the boat, there is adequate room for positioning a wheelchair user behind the tiller at the stern of the boat.
The person occupying the wheelchair in this case is my nephew, Anthony. He loves it.
My brother and I are seasoned sailors, so this all takes place within reasonable limits. We have recently embarked on this project, but so far the feedback has been very positive and we have a couple of good results to date.
I'll update you on our experience
thanks
Mark
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 18 at 7:12am
Not sure about starting the post with a negative, the forum is as busy as we all make it.

The yacht conversion sounds like a great plan. I saw video at a Sailability conference where the boom was used as a hoist, and the inside had been converted to enable the young lady too. If memory serves me right, they had gimbled the steering position, too. I suspect they had a good source of funding, though.

Your conversion sounds like it might be more attainable for the average sailor. Do you have any photos to share to show how you did it, please?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
mole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 1:15pm
Hi Rupert
Thanks for your response.

Essentially we did minimal changes to the boat.
We removed the mainsheet track and replaced with a dyneema bridle.
The aft deck area was reinforce with 12mm marine ply to put the wheelchair on, picking up on the holes from the mainsheet track. It also had 4 d-rings installed to use as tie down points for the wheelchair. The backstay was modified from a single point central connecting, to a split Y backstay with hard points either side of the transom. 
The loading is done using standard ramps, 4 in total. 2 from the dock to the boats transom and 2 from the transom onto the aft deck area. It takes 3 of us to load Anthony safely.
The wheelchair itself is a 'standard' manual wheelchair with smaller wheels. It has been modified by having a motorsport bucket seat mounted to it using its existing mountings and some stainless steel bars.
As mentioned we tie it down to the d-rings using ratchet straps through the frame of the wheelchair.
So far this all works really well.
Here is a pic of us sailing last week in Ramsgate Week
https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photo/215338
There are some more pics on the Ramsgate Week Facebook page if you want to see some more
Happy to share more information if anyone wants to know more
cheers
Mark
mole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 18 at 8:10pm
For those who are interested.
This is how we load our wheelchair user on our Corby 26
Easier next year after fitting an inboard engine!
Enjoy
https://www.facebook.com/rtyc.ramsgate/videos/502713920244231/
 Post Reply Post Reply