FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New singlehandeded toy required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New singlehandeded toy required
    Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 10:14am
LOL Yes I bought one a couple of years ago and it suits me very well. I don't think there is anything else like it, I already had the Spice and wanted a singlehander without a trap or kite that I would have a chance of being competitive in but was also quick and fun for blasting. The Blaze has exceeded expectations.

Look out for the usual things, plus, at your budget you are probably looking at a Mk1, the rack system, the original rack had the front and outer tubes in one piece and these can be difficult to extend if it has been bent. Also check they are not loose where they attach to the hull/deck and check the rudder fittings. The boats are pretty robust and even a mk1 can be competitive with a decent sail. The sail is an expensive thing to replace, around £900 for the official North but Vantage Sailing do a Hyde replica for around £500 which is fine for club sailing and blasting. Used sails do come up occasionally too but if you can find a boat with a decent sail that is worth spending a little more money on.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 10:56am
Oh, and just to add, if it's cheap enough a boat with a knackered sail could still be a good buy, I used my original sail when I was learning to sail the Blaze in a blow and it performed remarkably well. Despite holes and delamination all over the place it still worked and was/is fine for blasting around and having fun (though I doubt it'd win any races).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 11:59am
A new guy won the race on Sunday in a Blaze and we have a Girl racing one with the Fire Rig, such a shame the new boatbuilders who's name escapes me, don't give them the same treatment they gave the Supernova and reduced the need for a crane to get them out of the water.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 2:05pm
At least they seem to be building them down to weight these days unlike when T0pp3r had them.....
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Alibaba5643 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alibaba5643 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 2:18pm
Cheers for that, I liked the howlet designed iso, so I imagine I'd like the blaze too. Maybe I'll end up looking for a contender as a next boat as I think the itch will stay. May start looking out for a blaze somewhere not too far away.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 3:29pm
I guess you are in Scotland? Most are down south but this one is in Aberdeenshire http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=570344 Granted it's a little over budget but all the cheap ones seem to be down south. There was one at Yorkshire Dales IIRC which was closer to your budget but I can't find the ad.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alibaba5643 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 3:38pm
I am indeed. I'm currently starting a new job which is keeping me in London a few weeks but will be back up mid August so I'm not in any real rush yet. Sadly the Aberdeen one is a fair bit more than I have to spend at the moment and I'm keen to get on the water before the summer is out!

I'm going to keep an eye out as I'm happy to travel a bit, albeit the South Coast being a little too far!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 4:01pm
Shame you can't buy while you're in London, Kent is still a fair way but there are a couple down that way which are comfortably in budget.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alibaba5643 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 18 at 4:54pm
Indeed. Unfortunately I'm down with work and not with the car. Perhaps if I can get the time I'll go have a look at a few. The drive may be worth it if I know I've found a good boat.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 18 at 12:22pm
If you are going for a Blaze then the Mk 1 boats are up to an including 653, 654 onwards where the 'X' boats (different racks and the start of the Semi soft sail).

Since then Cirrus took them on and now Hartleys build the boat (not sure of the numbers though).

For up to £1.5k you should get a decent Mk1 maybe even a fairly decent Mk2. The only areas to watch out for is the front of the CB case on the Mk1 and 2 which were prone to separating under load (655 did this for me, I was put on to this by a few others who has the same issue).

Aside from the just the usual things you would check, fittings, any obvious cracks/osmosis/soft spots.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>