FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laser or ok?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laser or ok?
    Posted: 02 Jun 18 at 11:00am
Originally posted by craiggo

I had the same dilemma when I sold my 700. I wanted a simple singlehander that I could chuck a sail up and sail with minimal fuss. I couldn't bear the thought of another Laser so I got an OK and I love it.

There are some conditions on handicap where the PY isn't helpful but generally I have good racing with the Lasers and do alright at my club.

If you can its worth finding a 2nd hand carbon mast but you can work towards it and use a tin rig in the interim.

Good to know.
Last time I was in this position about 15 years ago (ie looking for a single hander, but trying to avoid the Laser ) I considered an OK and even went as far as going to the dinghy show to have a closer look at some for some reason I ended up with an RS vareo, which I didn't really gel with
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 18 at 3:17pm
Give the OK a go.... worst case scenario you don't like it and move it on again for what you paid for it.  

The Laser isn't going anywhere and will always be something to fall back on during those less inspired patches of a sailing lifecycle.

I wouldn't worry about the PY too much.... it's only handicap racing and you'll know how well you sailed long before you've packed the boat up, never mind checked the club web page the next day during your coffee break.

Edited by turnturtle - 05 Jun 18 at 3:19pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 18 at 4:45pm
I had an OK in my youth, when I was looking for a second singlehander for the lake I seriously considered another but couldn't bring myself to buy a wooden one so bought a Supernova instead (which I didn't get on with and sold again this spring). As you like the idea of a wooden boat I'd say buy an OK, they are a lovely boat to sail.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 18 at 8:18pm
Thanks for the encouragement chaps - I guess this is a project for next season, so will keep half an eye out and see what pops upon the OK market.

Edited by sawman - 05 Jun 18 at 8:20pm
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 18 at 9:41am
There are some good OKs currently for sale on the OK website. You don't need to go for wood. There are grp boats and composite that are all competitive.
OK 2129
RS200 411
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 18 at 6:43pm
There's a really nice boat on the FB dinghies for sale group at less than £1k. One of Dave Rose's boats that have a great reputation (20yr old example was 3rd in Euros a few years ago). Think there is a carbon rig available for some more
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/permalink/1754670271239077/?sale_post_id=1754670271239077
OK 2249
D-1 138
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 18 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by KazRob

There's a really nice boat on the FB dinghies for sale group at less than £1k. One of Dave Rose's boats that have a great reputation (20yr old example was 3rd in Euros a few years ago). Think there is a carbon rig available for some more
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/permalink/1754670271239077/?sale_post_id=1754670271239077

saw that, looks tidy. pity its 400 miles away!

KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 18 at 9:01pm
Never mind! Btw it's the OK Northern's at Filey in a couple of weeks - not sure what the demo boat is up to at the moment but worth an ask if you're north-ish
OK 2249
D-1 138
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 18 at 10:09pm
Yes, I have half a plan to go to filey with the scorpion - but not a solid enough plan to set up a demo, hopefully if I get there, I will get a close look at the fleet.
The last time I was anywhere near an OK was  back in the 1980s, Ron Parkin used to sail his  at our club from time to time
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 7:47am
Hi Sawman
Just seen a couple of Phantom's come up on dinghies for sale on Facebook that fall within your budget. one GRP and a woody.
Just as an alternative option for your budget.
Good luck
Gordon
Gordon
Phantom 1430
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>