FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laser or ok?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laser or ok?
    Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 4:36pm
might need to get me a single hander as prime crew off to Uni' this year.
The single handers mainly sailed in our neck of the woods are lasers, couple of phantoms and a couple of D1s.

I occasionally have a grumbling knee cartilage, am the wrong side of 50, and tip the scales at about 85 kg.

The laser would be an easy choice to make - I borrowed one the other day and it wasn't as bad as i had thought it might have been - there are a few about for not much cash, but after a few repeated and one crash tack I wondered how my dodgy knee would stand up to it

I have always admired the OK from afar but never had a go. I have the impression it might be a bit more comfortable than the laser, plus there is the possibility of a nice bit of woodwork to polish.

budget is less than £1K if poss

anyone got experience of both??

Edited by sawman - 01 Jun 18 at 4:39pm
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 7:49pm
Laser easier to sail than the OK, well I think so anyway, plus if you use smaller Laser sail you won't be thrown about so much.
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Laser easier to sail than the OK,

in what way, if you don't mind me asking?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 8:29pm
I just find the OK very tippy.
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 8:42pm
Give the OK a go (there's a class demo boat you can try out) as it's a delightful little boat. For me one of the big plusses is it's so comfortable and sailable downwind with the deep cockpit. No need to be on your knees downwind as you can perch on the traveller/side decks and there's more than enough room under the boom. Have a look at the class website as there's usually a range of boats available (and well sailed old boats, with a good rig are proving pretty competitive)

OK 2249
D-1 138
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Give the OK a go (there's a class demo boat you can try out) as it's a delightful little boat. For me one of the big plusses is it's so comfortable and sailable downwind with the deep cockpit. No need to be on your knees downwind as you can perch on the traveller/side decks and there's more than enough room under the boom. Have a look at the class website as there's usually a range of boats available (and well sailed old boats, with a good rig are proving pretty competitive)

Cheers, I did have a look over on the class website, looks like I could get kitted out for £1k. I couldn't find a "buyers guide" whats the concensus on wood versus frp/composite at the low end of the market? How does the demo boat thing work?
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 9:36pm
For the demo boat email the class chairman and vice chairman (contacts at http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/british-ok-dinghy-association-contacts/) as they normally know where it is and when it will be available. The boat itself is a refurbished older boat and goes pretty well now! (http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/news/demo-boat/).
I think the wooden boats are probably a better bet and there's certainly plenty of examples of 20 and even 40 year old boats doing remarkably well after a refurb and new rig - as with everything it depends what you want to spend and how keen you are! Have a chat with Dave the vice chairman as he refurbished the demo boat and knows more than me. If you do the FB thing there is a British OK sailors group to ask questions on as well
OK 2249
D-1 138
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by KazRob

For the demo boat email the class chairman and vice chairman (contacts at http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/british-ok-dinghy-association-contacts/) as they normally know where it is and when it will be available. The boat itself is a refurbished older boat and goes pretty well now! (http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/news/demo-boat/).
I think the wooden boats are probably a better bet and there's certainly plenty of examples of 20 and even 40 year old boats doing remarkably well after a refurb and new rig - as with everything it depends what you want to spend and how keen you are! Have a chat with Dave the vice chairman as he refurbished the demo boat and knows more than me. If you do the FB thing there is a British OK sailors group to ask questions on as well

cool, just joined the british OK group. btw, whats the general feeling about current PY number - is it helpful or hindrance in handicap racing?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 18 at 6:40am
But no one decides what boat to buy because of its yardstick...

I'm sure I read that somewhere!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 18 at 6:52am
I had the same dilemma when I sold my 700. I wanted a simple singlehander that I could chuck a sail up and sail with minimal fuss. I couldn't bear the thought of another Laser so I got an OK and I love it.

There are some conditions on handicap where the PY isn't helpful but generally I have good racing with the Lasers and do alright at my club.

If you can its worth finding a 2nd hand carbon mast but you can work towards it and use a tin rig in the interim.

OK 2129
RS200 411
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>