FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotomould recycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Chris 249 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotomould recycling
    Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 4:11am
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by Rupert

I think the single use comment might have been tongue in cheek, not sure it was a flaying offence.

Oh but that will not stop the usual suspects who seem to only have a sense of humour about their own, or their little on-line clique's comments

The problem is that there have been many derogatory comments about rotomoulds that have been made in dead earnest. It's not easy to spot whether someone is being tongue in cheek and trying to be funny, or just sneering.

Secondly, if tongue in cheek posts should be read in a positive light then why shouldn't the replies to them also be read in a positive light?
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 7:12am
My single use comment was not tongue in cheek at all.
Rotomould boats are a single use of the material if it is not recycled.
This is also true of composite boats but there is no system in place for bulk composites recycling, yet.
My original point was/is Rotomould polymer is a recycleable material
but we are not.

Why not???

I have the job of disposing of an end of life Pico training boat.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 7:42am
Single use suggests 1 sail, then bin, like a cucumber plastic wrapper. Using a boat for 10 or even 20 years (or 5, maybe in a sailing school) would seem like good use compared to almost any other plastic product. If it can be turned into bricks, or pothole filler at the end of that, all the better.

As to why Topperand Laser went rotomould, it was because they kept on losing money on their racing boats, barring the main two. They probably got fed up the class associations, too!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 9:02am
Originally posted by piglet

My single use comment was not tongue in cheek at all.
Rotomould boats are a single use of the material if it is not recycled.
This is also true of composite boats but there is no system in place for bulk composites recycling, yet.
My original point was/is Rotomould polymer is a recycleable material
but we are not.

Why not???

I have the job of disposing of an end of life Pico training boat.

The problem is, your end of life pico is probably 'end of life' because it's seen a lot of sunlight and gone brittle?
That tends to mean it is degraded plastic and not directly recyclable, it has chemically changed, you cannot just melt it down and mould something new as you might with aluminium.
You can use it to make something which demands very little strength from the plastic perhaps.
This is why things made from 'recycled' plastic are usually crude and heavy, like park benches.
It's borderline 'greenwashing' in some cases, more about storing the waste off the books than making an actual product.
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 9:59am
AIUI Aluminium, once it's been anodised, cannot be melted down and recycled...
Nick
D-Zero 316

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 10:14am
The anodic film created in anodising is 100% pure aluminiumAnodised aluminium can be recycled through simple re-melting without any intervening process. ... The recycling of composite panels is even more complex because of the extraction and destruction of the core material.
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 10:35am
Originally posted by 423zero

The anodic film created in anodising is 100% pure aluminiumAnodised aluminium can be recycled through simple re-melting without any intervening process. ... The recycling of composite panels is even more complex because of the extraction and destruction of the core material.

Actually, the anodised surface is aluminium oxide with a bit of dye in it. Probably some oxides of whatever the aluminium is alloyed with, e.g. silicon, magnesium etc.
Anodised ali is among the most favoured for recycling, it's less problem than paint, plastic coating, alochrom and most of the other surface treatments.
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 11:10am
I stand corrected  Embarrassed
Nick
D-Zero 316

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 11:20am
No Noah
I stand corrected
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 18 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Anodised ali is among the most favoured for recycling, it's less problem than paint, plastic coating, alochrom and most of the other surface treatments.

In my youth I was briefly an industrial chemist. We were presented with (IIRC) a requirement to strip a nylon coating from aluminium zip fasteners to permit recoating where the original coating had failed QA. We didn't succeed in finding a formulation to do the job, and I wasn't allowed to send out my report which recommended dissolving the aluminium out of the nylon and starting again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>