FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starboard windward mark port/starboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mozzy View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 18 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Brass

There has been some debate about this interpretation:  RYA seems to think that in this circumstance B is taking 'room to tackto which she is not entitled (see Definition of mark-room), and does not get exoneration.

I disagree.

I note that the the RYA has not issued an Appeal Case, nor has there been a TR Rapid Response Call, nor a WS Q&Q, so the 'taking room to tack' view doesn't seem to be all that popular among Racing Rules Committees, but bear in mind, as I commented above, the scenario should be uncommon in practice, as #1's best course is to put #2 about before tacking herself.

See the lengthy discussion on racingrulesofsailing here

Brass, surely the 'room to tack' sentence in the definitions under mark room was aimed at inside overlapped but to leeward boats at a mark where the windward (outside) boat is fetching but the leeward boat (with mark room) needs to luff or double tack to get around. It stops the leeward boat asking for room to double tack to get around the mark. 

They result is, if the inside boat is underlying, they can only luff up in to wind to 'shoot the mark' but not tack. 

In the discussion linked 'room to tack' seems to be discussed in relation to a starboard boat coming in to starboard mark round and taking around the mark. There seems to be idea that as soon as the inside starts to tack to go around the mark, they lose their right to mark room (perhaps for an instant while going through head to wind, perhaps until they are on close hauled on port?). I would say this is just simple mark room as they are not taking any additional room than if a tack wasn't required, for instance if they were just heading up or gybing round a mark (unlike the scenario above were a double tack would require lots more space).  
YouTube Channel
RS200 1382
RS800 1144
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12