FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tales from aFarr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales from aFarr
    Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 5:54pm
I'll sail the Solution through the winter, down the lake. The Farr is going to have to go back for a refit, it's held together with Gaffa tape, I've got another bloody great hole in the deck some thing must have blown about in the strong winds and smashed through it in the boat park, I've no idea how it happened. There are two holes under hull from bigger stones at the waters edge, rusty rivets on the boom are discolouring the sail, all the kicker bars have broken and I want a few modifications. I'm hoping for an actual carbon deck this time maybe with a kite chute built in, I want to get the controls moved and the elastic to come up from under directly below the trapeze like a Contender and I need the kicker control line to be longer. So I need a chat with the builders, I'm definitely keeping it for another year, still not really proficient tacking from wire to wire and there's lots more to learn, this was just a nice little psychological boost at the end of the season. I'm definitely going to try and find a new home for the EPS now, glad I didn't take it out today.

Edited by iGRF - 14 Oct 18 at 5:55pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 6:15pm
If it's a boat that benefits from a lot of kicker adjustment run it out with main sheet
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by 423zero

If it's a boat that benefits from a lot of kicker adjustment run it out with main sheet

Yes.. good call, had thought that a while back in my sleepless night musings, then forgot all about it, that is the answer, I had that on the Alto.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 6:37pm
How long have you had boat ? Rusty rivets staining sail  Angry imagine if you had a car that rusted in such a short time, it would be on 'News at ten', hard to believe a boat manufacturer would use anything at all that could possibly rust  Shocked
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by 423zero

How long have you had boat ?
Took delivery at the Dinghy show, the boom will have been supplied by I guess the spar people can't remember the name the ones that supply cheap crap rigs, not Selden, got a yellow label super spars is it?

Edited by iGRF - 14 Oct 18 at 7:02pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 7:31pm
Carbon doesn't play happily with most metals.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by JimC

Carbon doesn't play happily with most metals.
Which makes you wonder why idiot dinghy companies insist on drilling and rivets.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 7:53pm
Steel or Ally rust ?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 8:21pm
Those of us who build our own stuff and don't have to worry about time=money and competitive pricing use as few rivets as possible. The other side of it is that its even more important to wash down carbon spars than tin ones. And don't forget the inside!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112