FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tales from aFarr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales from aFarr
    Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

Farr 3.99 would..
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 1:10pm
A boat with a wire (or racks in my case) is always going to be at a disadvantage against hiking boats when you can't use the extra leverage as the PN factors it in.....

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 4:03pm
Surely not?  The PN number is calculated on results across a range of wind conditions.  The hiking boats always lose out to the trapeze ones when it gets windy.   
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by NickM99

Surely not?  The PN number is calculated on results across a range of wind conditions.  The hiking boats always lose out to the trapeze ones when it gets windy.   

Well the problem comes from the fact that when it's windy racing often gets cancelled. Had it been high tide last night instead of low, they'd have called it off, as it was half the fleet changed their mind and didn't go out. Had I been due to hike, I probably wouldn't have bothered, hiking in heavy wind and waves is a ballache and as it was the one Laser that got round concerned me on handicap they are such bandits on the sea with their downwind speed which exceeds mine on deep reaches when I can't wire.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by NickM99

Yup, that's pretty much my point
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 18 at 7:34am
I would have thought you ought to be quicker than a knee wrecker in all but upwind in light to medium conditions tbh...
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 18 at 9:12am
Even in the light the Farr should be faster. You've just got to make use of the hull shape. A fair bit of leeward heel in the light to sail it on the chine rather than the flat bottom.
OK 2129
RS200 411

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 18 at 11:26am
The Farr lacks a little waterline length compared to a L@ser but it's not much, Laser is a good bit shorter on the W/L than O/A whilst the Farr stem is more vertical.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 4:48pm
Finally..Natural order is restored, 1st over the Water, more from the conditions than anything the boat did, but I have got my head sorted a bit with it ever since I tried to put my EPS soft sail on it but couldn't because the bolt rope track is too small anyway and found out it wasn't much bigger than the Farr main.

So today, we had very light winds that should have been stronger with a forecasted onshore breeze lurking out to sea and a side shore thermal battling it. A disdavantageous tide with the 1st mark out to sea, all the Lasers went up the coast but I wanted wind and reasoned if it did fill in it would come from the south out to sea where I could see a wind line. Two other boats followed me out as I went from what appeared to be the none favoured end of the line but ti was furthest out to sea and slogged slowly out there. Then at times it disappeared altogether with occasional puffs and only the swell giving any energy to get any movement at all. I pushed on out to sea and was losing a bit going down tide, but if I could just get the drift onto my lee bow, in the lulls I'd still have something pushing.. The plan worked...

Don't you just love it when a plan comes good? The breeze did fill out there first, not a lot but enough to get my nose the right side of the tide which in turn accellerated what there was, my tidal lee bow worked,. So I rounded round the 1st mark ahead, there was hardly anything inshore, it had taken so long by the time we got back down to the lee mark and the club they called it. But.. as I remarked.. there is no greater joy than being in the boat park with the cover on before the lasers land and the Farr 3.7 has drawn first blood.

Edited by iGRF - 14 Oct 18 at 4:53pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 5:35pm
Well done, will you sail through the winter ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>