FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tales from aFarr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales from aFarr
    Posted: 13 May 18 at 10:25am
If you can’t beat them, join them? You’d be good in a radial and could always switch up for the wind durge of late
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 18 at 4:31pm
There's another Graham, ex windsurfer racer, only sailed a Laser on holiday is destroying the Laserati and winning the races on handicap in a borrowed club Laser.. Then he is only 60kgs. Me I'm about to chuck all my rattles out of the pram if we don't get just something over 5 mph soon.. Got my first time ever DFL on Thursday FFS.

Edited by iGRF - 13 May 18 at 4:32pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 18 at 8:07pm
Same here, can't remember last decent wind, haven't been able to sail Sprint for 3 months.
Push the boat out yesterday, no wind at all, managed 9 signees for RYA level 1 though, this is a record for us, but first time no new member sign ups.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 10:00am
North Easterly 17 gusting 21 tonight and finally I'm hooked in, sailing a bit defensively as it is all very strange not having a boom to hang onto when in the harness, old dog new trick I fear. However although as is customary with this boat no sooner than the gun firing big holes began to appear, I had a couple of really thrilling moments as a gust accellerated this boat like none I've ever sailed, not quite windsurfing speed but not far off, I'm beginning to like it a lot.

As for the race North Easterlies are by far the worse wind directions we get at Hythe really gusty and lots of holes so I was constantly fearful of falling in backwards and tended to wire off the inner carbon things that are in the wrong place.

After a hesitant start (I thought I might have been over) I settled down to battle with my chum in his Phantom, one good laser sailor got away the rest I managed to keep behind me, the fact I got round without stacking it seemed to surprise our resident high wind Contender sailor who'd spent the race far ahead and lapped us on the final sausage. It was 1hr and about 15 minutes of gusts, lulls and an amazing long leg down the 2nd reach far out to sea in lovely surfing waves sailing into the sun, a more pleasant experience you rarely come across and the boat performs great in them even with a sail full of gust and the back of a wave ahead, too deep to think about wiring the only disconcerting thing was the long wiggle stick thing digging in the waves occasionally.

So I managed a 6th which is good for me in strong winds in any boat and I now know it can only get better with practise. I could only straight leg wire on the odd occasion whilst everyone else (that were on wires) seemed to be comfortable out on the side, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong yet, could be sailing too high, someone else suggested more kicker but I had what I thought was a lot on. I had also wanged on a load of downhaul to twist the top of the sail off which it does now I've fitted a thinner top batten than the chunky thing supplied with the sails, what is it with dinghy sailmakers and their crap batten material these days?

I've developed a technique to sort of reduce the going into irons thing, I had the plate angle back a bit and made sure I dived as far forward as I could once rounding the back and other than at the very end trying to cross the line into a head tide I completed all tacks without issue, in fact I'm actually feeling quite pleased with myself and eager to have another go, we have wind forecast again on sunday, maybe I'll see if cutting her a little looser might enable wiring off the actual gunwhales..

< ="text/" ="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/a7841a2d//helpers/preHelper.js">

Edited by G.R.F. - 18 May 18 at 10:09am
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 11:18am
17 gusting 21 and you weren't flat wiring? have you put on weight recently, or perhaps a growth spurt?

my guesses would pinching / too much sly pig / too softer batten at the top
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 11:19am
Hi Graham
Sorry but why are you pulling downhaul (Cunningham)on if your underpowered?
Gordon

Gordon
Phantom 1430
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 11:28am
I didn't expect to be underpowered actually got down early went out had a bit of a blatt about came ashore and re tightened everything, the halyard is still new, is sh*t rope and stretches. 

I'm a bit heavier than I ought to be, 70kgs probably 75 in all the kit, the sail ain't that big, 8.5 I'd guess I haven't measured it but it's a good 3/4 mtr smaller than my EPS sail.
I felt I should have been at least out on the rails not from the inner carbon step offs, I'm wondering if it is my natural angle on the wind, I've always pointed quite high, it's a light persons defence mechanism,. Sly Pig WTF is that, is that some Northern sailors sex aid reference?
This is one time when I think I need to go to an event where other folk sail them properly, could be tricky I've noticed they're all selling them since I bought mine.. LOL

< ="text/" ="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/a7841a2d//helpers/preHelper.js">

Edited by G.R.F. - 18 May 18 at 11:30am
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 11:39am
Hi Grf
If you leave the downhaul alone until your over powered. In general its one of my last depowering tools I use once rake and kicker have run out.
Note Cunningham is the correct term on any boat for the rope which goes up through a point above the tack and can be adjusted.
Not some sex fantasy of a windsurfer 
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 11:55am
sly pig = cunningham

Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 11:58am
cunning ham - sly pig - geddit?

downhaul is becoming more prevalent - and it does what it says...

If you have a stretchy halyard, then once the sail is up, haul on the cunningham (lots); let it off again then retension the halyard. This will take out most of the stretch. Pulling on cunno with a stretchy halyard is a fruitless exercise.

Edited by Noah - 18 May 18 at 12:00pm
Nick
D-Zero 316

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>