FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tales from aFarr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales from aFarr
    Posted: 03 Apr 18 at 12:15pm
Well I finally got it all together, just about in time for the 1st race of the season at Hythe amid much appreciation on the looks of a properly disguised wood core epoxy hybrid as I call it when asked what's it made of.

Even had some help and insistence I didn't let it touch the shingle (I had planned the customary picture to wind up the Facebook mob) It was offshore had been 17 mph earlier but was dropping fast then naturally as soon as we shoved off it almost vanished entirely then began switching around NNE thru WNW absolutely no chance to get wired in.

So we shuffled out to the downwind mark it's a fair way out and the principle reason I've switched from hiking to wiring this year, well I will get on the wire one day, when I've finally got the wires of equal length and the right height, this however wasn't my main problem.

The nightmare came every couple of seconds as the plate shot back up to contact the boom as there's nothing to hold it down and it wasn't a tight fit so something I've got to sort later. Funny the last brand new boat I took on the water (a demo Solution) the plate wouldn't stay down, I can see why it's a problem in a confined workshop, but never the less annoying. Then again as SWMBO pointed out who but a complete and total idiot only ever goes out to race and would consider taking something straight out of the box onto the startline.

So it was a weird race me having to try and stand on the plate to keep it down, it shooting to the surface every few seconds (it would stay down if there was any sideways pressure but the wind kept dropping to nothing and immediately it would pop up so you can imagine what sort of start in 1st beat it was.

It was silly stupid wind we had a puff to start and I went off the line with an RS100 that I held for a bit but the plate popped up I started freaking and he slowly pulled away, the other end of the line had equal issues and there was of course the inevitable tide you kind of forget about with a winter of closed water lake sailing,

I eventually went round the 1st mark DFL with a Contender, we'd both managed to drift from hole to hole, all the Lasers had caught up and over taken us, he'd had enough and went in, I carried on to see what would happen off wind (the Lasers were already at the gybe mark stalled in another hole) it filled in enough for me to catch them, there then ensued a tacking battle against the tide to try and get round the mark which took another five minutes and I made it round first. The faster boats, a Blaze, an RS600 and the RS100 were long gone back down at the leeward mark and had been making no progress against the tide so the race abandoned signal howled from the club as the already too cold rescue crews considered their predicament of getting the boats that had been ahead back to the club as they were considerably down tide and the wind had all but gone.

So inconclusive really as far as the boat is concerned. I learned a few things, it'll be as I suspected hard work to deal with just about everything we have in light weather, Blaze, RS100, 600 all just marched away when the wind did fill in, before the wind finally went squirrel stupid I was just behind them but ahead of the Lasers, they then also overwhelmed us mainly due to lack of concentration, so it might help if the plate doesn't keep popping up. Off wind will probably be it's strong point where the light weight will help, if I can get on the wire then it'll be a whole new game, such a shame it didn't just blow enough for one wire run.

As to its sailing quality if felt like a glove, just slipped it on and off we went, not unlike the Solution, little bit of weather helm, but that could be the plate, there was a position you could almost hold it down by raking it back (something I guess you do when it's windy) at no time did I feel threatened by it and it footsteers a treat, probably is the closest thing I've sailed to a race board. So I'll get some bungee chord to hold the plate where I want it and try again, then report back.
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 18 at 4:20pm
Igrf
On the centre board if it's loose might be m
Worth sticking either some loop Velcro in the bottom and tip if the case or some webbing soaked in evo stick which should give some fiction to assist keeping the board in place
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
chris_wht View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chris_wht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 18 at 9:25am
was this the one at the dinghy show?

looked rather nice, but let down by the obvious fake carbon sticker on the foredeck. couldnt you have gone single skin of laminate and clearcoat? wouldnt add much weight if any, or is it not allowed in class?   
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 18 at 9:53am
The 'wrapping' fooled quite a few, as was intended and yes I asked for an all carbon deck but the boat was already in an advanced build state given I ordered it a few weeks ahead of the show on the proviso that I decide what it looked like hence the decision to 'wrap' rather than wait for another which I believe they are now going to go with carbon or carbon laminate of ply as this one turned out as well as it did.

Wrapping however has certain advantages in that it can be removed and replaced should I decide on a different 'look' at a later date. The key factor however is that it disguises all that ghastly 'wood' core that woodbotherers might spend hours polish or varnishing to look like old furniture. I could of course simply change the wrap and have polished wood effect should i ever totally lose my mind.

Then again I could go with polished aluminium, or total chrome.. the options are endless

Edited by iGRF - 04 Apr 18 at 9:54am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 18 at 12:09pm
Hmmm baby blue chrome or gold leaf.
Nice looking boat, would be disappointed that a new boat needed fettling, loose daggerboard ?
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 18 at 1:19pm
Symptomatic of the dinghy business I'm afraid, I've bought let me think 4 or is it 5 brand new boats and not one of them worked satisfactorily without further fettling as you call it. It's best to buy late low mileage from someone who's already sorted the boat, my Solution has been the best buy so far in working straight off the trailer, the guy who owned it before me had done a good job, which I soon buggered up.
I very nearly bought a really good used Farr but it was a bit of a drive, initially over priced and it looked too 'wooden' I'm not unhappy with this, making a daggerboard stay down is no problem I should have thought of it before I sailed it, but you know how it is, keen to get it on the water..

Edited by iGRF - 04 Apr 18 at 1:22pm
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 18 at 2:33pm
The only new boat I bought which didn't need a bit of work was the Solo, everything else needed something sorting.  

Low mileage, nearly new is definitely the way forward.

And anyone getting interested in the Farr has a couple to choose from on the second hand market currently.  

I can't think what has changed since the dinghy exhibition to decimate half the UK fleet - I'd lay a pound to a penny there's nothing wrong with the boats.  LOL
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 18 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

I can't think what has changed since the dinghy exhibition to decimate half the UK fleet - I'd lay a pound to a penny there's nothing wrong with the boats.  LOL

Sadly the reason 2 of the 18 (IIRC) in build or built UK boats are for sale is nothing to do with the 19th owner! ;-) Unfortunately, it is purely bad health on the part of the two sellers. If you knew Myles's and his story you'd know he wouldn't be selling if there was another option. Peter, on the other hand, is just a great big girl's blouse and only needs to have his hips replaced!

BTW Myles has dropped his price.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 18 at 5:41pm
iGRF - yep it fits like a glove, and feels like a Race Board. You will want to move the board angle around to suit your rig rake and rudder feel. 

It would be good to read the Farr 3.7 set up / how to pages on the UK and or NZ websites...

And, err... the 29er has internal ply frames over composite too. So you are in good company.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 18 at 7:33pm
I've fixed it and we're ready to rock. Changed trap halyards to fast red, sorted the plate, added a bungy. I nearly went out today solo, to do a bit of wave jumping, but reeled my enthusiasm in, got to stay grown up a bit longer, but geezz this thing is light and I'm so going to chuck it about...

Edited by iGRF - 06 Apr 18 at 7:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>