FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From the show..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From the show..
    Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 3:23pm
Really enjoyed the show this year. Grf should be really pleased , I spent a long time chatting at the solution stand. Was very impressed , once I have sold one of my boats, I am going to look for a nice second hand one. 
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 3:23pm
Your boat looked pretty good to me Graeme and I recall zipping past the H2 and doing a double-take:"Wow, that isn't as big as I'd imagined" - so should have gone back to investigate more.
I spent a long time on our 600 stand fielding lots of questions so that was good but it meant that I didn't really get around the show very much at all.
I should definitely have spent some proper time over with your Farr and checked it out more deeply.
I was really impressed with how busy it was on Saturday...didn't expect that, but I assume it was busier still on Sunday?
Mind you, that Main Hall was bloody Baltic!!!
Post-Show 'Exhibitors Beers' was a nice touch  Smile

Edited by fleaberto - 05 Mar 18 at 3:24pm
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Did you go H2? I couldn't get near the H2 stand it was that busy, the couple of times I passed by.

No I did not make it - I was supposed to be out in Pembroke last week doing a couple days pre-season coaching but it got called off due to the 40 knot winds and -10 windchill and my family had booked up stuff for me to ferry them too all weekend. I spoke to a couple of the guys that did go to help at the H2 stand and they were really excited by the response which seemed significant. I guess we will find out when orders start coming in, we are already at 40 boats sold I believe.

The RYA also gave us an EN of 1037 which is very nice and should help anyone worried about being in a HC fleet. 

I must make it to the boat show one of these days - if only it was at the NEC I would be there is a flash!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by zeon

Really enjoyed the show this year. Grf should be really pleased , I spent a long time chatting at the solution stand. Was very impressed , once I have sold one of my boats, I am going to look for a nice second hand one. 
I am really pleased, with any luck my sea problems are over and my love affair with the Solution goes from strength to strength I came back and actually won the Sunday mornings frostbite race against the quick Solo and the Boatyards @ beer Streaker over the water and on corrected which is a very rare occurrence down there, so all I've now got to do is break the news to you know who and hope she doesn't enforce the one boat out first rule...

Edited by iGRF - 05 Mar 18 at 4:36pm
boatshed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatshed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 5:35pm
The Int14 rudder gantry looks to be swept up and the bottom of the stock is sitting well above the underside of the hull bottom at the transom.   Is this because the water flow coming off the back of the hull flows upwards and will foul the stock if there is insufficient distance?   If so, looking at iGRF's Farr gantry, it looks to not have this swept up gantry and I think the water flow  could foul the rudder stock.   Could well be wrong as the photos are not clear.

Steve
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by boatshed

The Int14 rudder gantry looks to be swept up and the bottom of the stock is sitting well above the underside of the hull bottom at the transom.   Is this because the water flow coming off the back of the hull flows upwards and will foul the stock if there is insufficient distance?   If so, looking at iGRF's Farr gantry, it looks to not have this swept up gantry and I think the water flow  could foul the rudder stock.   Could well be wrong as the photos are not clear.

Is it not because if the gantry sat flush it would count as hull length? The moths have a small step up to their gantrys too...

P.s. thanks for the photos iGRF, new boat is looking sweet as well!

Edited by mozzy - 05 Mar 18 at 6:31pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 7:25pm
It has to be swept up to not be included in hull length a rules thing. Dave Butler has a similar design in progress that I was unaware of, as Farr as the Farr is concerned this is the system they've fitted on all the other boats, I just ordered a turnkey system, the reason it wasn't complete is because I want to be able to fit a kick up rudder as well as possibly a cassette rudder in the future with maybe a foil on it.

The thing about the 14 wasn't the kick up bit, but the mechanics of adjusting the pitch of the foil fore and aft, there are a couple more pics of it close up, i'll try and get them up later, that boat is worthy of a thread in itself.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 9:54pm
Well there are two things.
A rudder stock with insufficient sweep up will be draggy unless its shaped enough to have a positive rather than negative effect. If it is having a positive effect its not unreasonable that rules will get involved. In some ways its surprising that quite a number of classes have no problem with a shallowly immersed foil behind the hull that is gaining performance partially through pressure recovery, because the effect isn't so very different from the one you would have by lengthening the boat that much.
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 18 at 11:32pm
The gantry is not allowed to behave like it extends the hull skin, similar wording to most box rules inc moth - which even has to be removeable.
Mine is pretty normal in most respects although there are a number of other ways to do it. Mine is moulded into hull so easy to build, and is bouyant. It is immersed at rest but as soon as under way the transom runs clean and it doesn't contribute bouyancy, even when trans at CL is > 200mm below waterline at speed with aft trim. The gantry is cranked upwards such that the bottom of the stock is ~ 120mm above a line projected off centreline of hull. I wouldn't want it to be any less, otherwise the stock is getting wet and dragging. The gantry is quite close to transom edge at its sides as I only have ~ 100mm of cantilever section depth and this sees big loads from foil when sailing, but even bigger ones if grounding. This number is small as I went for a low dancefloor - one of many compromises. There are long bhds extending fwd from the intersection of gantry and transom to resolve these.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 18 at 11:38pm
Gosh, that's very Veed. Almost looks like a Jennifer Julian Cherub, and I bet you've never seen one of those.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>