FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solo replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 18 at 5:48pm
I have tried the lightning and found it virtually vice free, just waiting to find one at the right price.
Riv View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 18 at 4:01pm
I'll be looking at the end of the year, prices will go down and maybe there will be some close.
Now proud owner of Mistral Div II prototype board
rich96 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 18 at 3:42pm
Not sure that a Lightning will be ideal for your intended demographic ?

A very good lightning sailor told me that they were a proper handful in breeze -

Lasers (using various rigs sizes) may be more suitable ?
zeon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 18 at 4:48pm
I have owned in no particular order, lightning , supernova, laser/radial and British moth and I can say with out a shadow of a doubt the lightning is the easiest to sail when it gets very breezy.
Riv View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 18 at 8:56pm
Frankly most of our sailors come home when the whitecaps start, so I'm not really concerned with strong wind performance and we can put on some smaller sails if we need to.

Laser have so many disadvantages for the casual sailor that it's best if we move them on. I don't use them anymore (started in 1979) stopped a few years ago simply because it was too painful and hanging from a windsurfer harness is so much easier. Most of our casual members feel somewhat the same about the pain factor.

Having a CB and a relatively deep cockpit is very important. Finns with a reduced rig would be good!!, and maybe a crane to get them out:)
porkyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote porkyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 18 at 9:04pm
Another vote for Lightnings from me. I have raced solos, streaker, supernova, and D dero at club level, and for the last few months a Lightning 368 that cost me 600. I have had as much fun racing this great little boat, as I did in the Dzero that cost me 6k new!!
porkyman
iGRF View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 18 at 9:55pm

They look quite swish, the new ones.
Riv View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 18 at 8:59pm
Anyone tried the Hartley 12?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 18 at 11:31pm
There is a poster on here who has one, can't remember his username but his sig mentions the Colvic.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep" (now sold but considering a second (mk3) Blaze as her replacement)
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 18 at 7:50am
Tynesider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>