FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiking or Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiking or Wiring
    Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 8:35pm
So... inevitable next question, what's the best trapeze harness solution which offers the most variety of hook height?
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 9:06pm
Hook height stays the same (about waist) it's the wire ring that goes up n down, but you know all that from your Contender gang.

I like the rudder gantry plan, I guess lengthening the distance between rudder and board it will make the helm a little less of a hair trigger.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 9:13pm
My Contender lot all have the surname saurus or osaur, they have harnesses that haven't really changed that much from Noahs time, in fact having spent the last hour googling this seems to be pretty much the case for all of them. I can't even find one supplied with a QR hook, was there not some legislation about having QR hooks on harnesses? They all look long overdue for a redesign.

Edited by iGRF - 08 Feb 18 at 9:14pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Getting back to the hook height it must make a difference as to how soon you can wire I mean a lower hook will have more weight than a high hook surely, I'm trying to get my head round it. The higher the hook height the lower ratio of body weight will transfer to the rig won't it?

When you say "Raising the hook" in this context I assume you mean shortening the trap wire not changing the position of the hook on your body? Trapezing higher (shorter wire) means your CG is closer to the gunnel, if you were upright (you'd fall into the boat.....) your CoG would be exactly over the gunnel, the longer the line the flatter your hang and the further your CoG is outside the boat and the greater your righting moment.

If you do mean moving the hook up or down your body, Do Different has it right, it doesn't matter where on your body the hook is (at least not as long as you are secure on the gunnel and comfortable) your CoG is fixed at around navel level and the righting moment depends on how far that is from the centreline of the boat. Short wires, upright stance CoG close to the side of the boat (you can achieve similar, to a point, by 'bending-ze-knees'), long wires, flat trapezing (with no boat heel and body parallel to the water) maximum righting moment. Issues arise in waves if you trap too low so compromise is required but basically that's it.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 08 Feb 18 at 10:09pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 10:11pm
Oh, plenty of QR hooks out there, though nobody seems to have designed one that releases but stays attached! I suppose it means another sale every time someone uses one........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 8:53am
I used to use a Banks Radial harness on my Contender and loved it. It had a QR hook. 

Adjustment of trapezing height is usually done by the wire length adjuster, not on the harness.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 9:49am
I was told by an coach who sailed 470s when weight jackets were allowed that they would have two hook positions to account for the change in their CoM after strapping a heap of lead to their chest. If they didn't their feet would lift off the deck and they'd tip backwards! 

So hook height is just to match your CoM with the aim to have as much weight supported by the wire;  changing it won't alter your righting moment. You can only increase righting moment by trapping lower (risk of hitting waves or dunking in lulls) and taller (harder to balance). 

There's still quite a lot to getting a nice harness that fits well though....

Trap wires you have a trade off between being able to get high enough in light winds when forward in the boat, and getting low enough at the back in heavy air. That can be quite a massive range of adjustment and you may have difficult reaching the trapeze adjuster when low, or standing on the trapeze adjuster tail in light winds... so it's best to have some way of adjusting the trapeze handle height. 
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 10:21am
Dakine did some prototypes Graeme ... I think they did it to despite you at the time!

Best to try a few on at the dinghy ex mate, they vary like windsurf harnesses

Edited by turnturtle - 09 Feb 18 at 10:22am
jcooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 12:32pm
Thanks for all you comments

I currently sail a 400 which seems to be pretty tough on knees on long open water beats

I wonder if a hiking boat with racks (e.g. Blaze, B14) be less tough due allowing more flexibility in hiking style?

Also what is an Aero like to hike in - from a quick search of photos it looks as though most people use a semi-bent leg style?

Thx

John
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 1:21pm
I have a Dakine trap harness (it was me that asked them to make some for me, at the time I was planning on lobbying them into the sailing market but they got sold and all plans were off)

Re hook height, it's in my DNA from windsurfing and kiting, where the hook actually is on your body makes a deal of difference to the amount of weight you can bring to bear given some of it is shared with being on the board/ deck of the boat.

So my logic thinks in lighter winds if the hook were high on your chest then more of your weight goes through the boat so you can stay hooked in, and with it high on your chest particularly if you are ahem vertically challenged, then the angle of the wire v the mast will be less acute which should deliver more moment if my maths is correct (Not that I trust my maths any more than you lot trust my physics). Then again if I'm right then less weight will apply, so I guess the reason it's been the way it is for so long is having a centre hook is optimum.

I think that adjustability is a blind, all it does is alter the length of the wire, like having adjustable harness lines, it doesn't change the amount of weight in play, then again maybe I'm wrong.. who knows?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>