FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Splicing/joining Lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
elzorillo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote elzorillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splicing/joining Lines
    Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 1:48pm
I'm trying to replace the continuous lines on my dinghy and following the instructions from the online video below for joining 4mm marlow... I CANNOT get the outer to fit inside and pull through the other outer no matter how I try. It just seems far to big. Any suggestions what I could do please? or even an alternative rope that is easier to join

Edited by elzorillo - 21 Jan 18 at 1:51pm
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 3:55pm
use the english braids equivelent. its dyneema rather than technora/snakeskin which gives it that matte feel

https://www.sailboats.co.uk/english-braids-continuous-control-line

Obviously the less grippy the rope the easier the splice will pull through. To counter this just make the splice a decent size (aka the full depth of your pull fid) Not had any issues with mine yet

Edited by ClubRacer - 21 Jan 18 at 3:57pm
elzorillo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote elzorillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 4:43pm
Thanks.. I'll give that a go.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 5:06pm
I used this stuff, just need the a wire or pull fid like the video rather that a push fid. Looks real neat when done.

English Braids own marlow... so marlow and braids could be same rope?

Edited by mozzy - 21 Jan 18 at 5:08pm
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 5:13pm
Marlow excel control

• Durable Technora & polyester cover for high strength and abrasion resistance
  • Light weight polypropylene core

English Braids - Continuous Control Line

The Continuous Control line is a light polypropylene cored rope with durable high performance Dyneema® and polyester mix cover

ROOSTER EASYSPLICE™ CONTINUOUS CONTROL LINE

Rooster also do a continuous control which is also dyneema/polyester based but a little cheaper per meter than i could find the English Braids

https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/Rooster-EasySplice-Continuous-Control-Line_106104.htm

Edited by ClubRacer - 21 Jan 18 at 5:18pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 5:38pm
Pretty sure they're all the same. Technora is a marlow brand name fir a dynema. So they're all dynema / polyester covers with bulking polypropylene cores.

I bought mine off a reel with marlow branding. Was easy to splice. I'd be suprised if English braids manufactured an almost identical competing rope when they own marlow.

I'd check before replacing what you have. If you don't have a wire fid like the video then try getting one first.

Edited by mozzy - 21 Jan 18 at 5:40pm
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 7:56pm
Use a wire type pull fit then make sure you don’t have more rope in the grip that absolutely needed, its not actually much then you should be able to work it through. Too much rope in wire loop and you’ll fight for hours
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 8:26pm
I struggled for hours with the Marlow control until I learned to thin the one you're trying to pull through by pulling out and snipping off some of the coloured strands. Leave the black, that's the 'Technora' which holds the strength.
I've no idea what 'Technora' is but it does not handle or react to heat like Dyneema, it's more like what Marlow call Vectran, ie. grippy not slippy and burns doesn't melt.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 10:00pm
Marlow and English Braids have same ownership but their continuous splice products are very different. The Marlow one is a bitch to use. The EB one is a doddle by comparison.

FWIW, I've also had a Marlow line break on me (RS100 kicker and not on the splice) but the EB replacement has been in use twice as long with no bother.

Not had chance to try the Rooster one yet
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 11:28pm
Rooster's Spinfast is a re-branded Marlow 8 plait pre-stretched, its AllSpec Pro is also EB's  D-racer16 so I can only imagine that the Rooster Continuos Control is the EB Continuos Control line re-branded as well.

Rooster is a small company in comparison to the likes of Marlow and EB so I doubt they have the capability of producing a full range of products while still being competitive in price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>