FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS800 Video Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS800 Video Library
    Posted: 14 May 19 at 11:26am
I actually like pursuit races, I have done them as the slowest boat when it is fun seeing if you can hold the fast boats off and also as the fastest boat when the thrill of the chase is also fun. That said I wouldnt want to do them every week but they do make a nice change.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 12:02pm
Yup me too, I enjoy pursuit racing and handicap racing, nice to have a mix.

I don't have the opportunity to class race locally in the Blaze though. Nice that there are a couple of others at L&LSC and maybe another in the pipeline so maybe one day.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 7:21pm
I love pursuit races and always have.

They are relatively easy for a novice race team to run. They keep your attention to the very end, unless you are doing really badly.
No packed start line.

Add in the potential for personal adjustments if you have a pursuit series and you can have a great series.

OK 2129
RS200 411
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 7:29pm
The majority of our trainee members would not be able to run a pursuit race without back up, (back up would in reality be running race), the staggered start, then keeping track of entrants positions.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 8:34pm
Not rocket science, really? A well written set of instructions and a crib sheet of start times and it could be done by a 10 year old. I know this, as it is the age rupertson started running them.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 8:41pm
Our 'race team' (usually WaGs) have no trouble running pursuit races, they get a spreadsheet with the start times and just log the boats across the line. The finish is down to the sailors themselves but, as it's low key, it's never troublesome.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 8:53pm
We don't have a finish line as such, race run to the Hour, who ever is in front is winner, no times taken or second third place etc.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 9:03pm
Yup that's how we finish, it may be tricky for any boats on a beat when the gun goes (or running assymetrics if you do W/L courses) but we manage.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 11:27am
No finish line for us. 90 mins after the first start there is a finishing sound signal. Safety boat loosely tracks the leader for the last 10 mins and quickly whizzes back through the fleet and radios positions to the race officer. Any confusion or mixups sorted in the bar afterwards.
OK 2129
RS200 411

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 12:04pm
Yes that's how we do it. Sometimes hard to tell if two boats are on opposite sides of the beat though but, usually, easily resolved in the bar  Thumbs Up
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>