FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS800 Video Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS800 Video Library
    Posted: 06 Dec 18 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Wee Man

Loving these videos & the extra data makes it more fun.
I'm going to start wearing HR monitor next year crewing an F18...reckon that'll be quite high.

I'd love to know what mine was last week in a bit of a breeze, can't say it's something I've ever considered sailing, only reason I notice it on the bike is my apple watch goes mental sometimes and starts clicking my wrist on over-haptic!. That's never happened on the water.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 18 at 12:28pm
looking good mozzy, what equipment are you currently running? cameras and software etc?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 18 at 1:50pm
Boom
Old GoPro 960. Shooting 960p 30fps. Use this on the boom as it has the best wide angle and I can crop top and bottom back to 720p in post and correct the framing. It would be nice to get a newer Gopro here with stabilisation and an extreme wide angle lens. Also the 30 fps isn't great for slow mo, so something with a higher frame rate would be better. 

Head / compass bracket
Yi Lite Action Camera. Shooting in 1080p and 60fps. Picture quality is lots better than the go-pro, but it's loads newer. It has some electronic stabilisation, but I don't use it as it gives the video a jelly look. I find 60 fps is pretty good as it gives you the option for slomo in edit. Ideally you'd shoot in 30fps to get a smoother image for real time playback, but it doesn't give you any slomo option. 

Editing
Davinci Resolve 15, just the free version. Playback in the timeline is slow which is frustrating, mostly down to my slow laptop. But I quite like playing around with the colour which it's amazing at. The other downside is I often get glitches in my editing which are hard to detect in the stuttering playback in the software, so it's only after rendering for hours that you realise!

Overlay
Garmin VIRB Edit. It' rubbish editing software, but it's free and you can use any MP4 file coupled with any GPX or FIT file. You have to Sync up the footage manually, which can be pain, as the Yi has ten minute clip lengths, so if you want to sync the whole sail you have to do it ten times! 

The first video I brought raw footage into VIRB and synced it, then rendered the whole load. The plus side of this was that you had your whole video overlaid which you could then bring in to Resolve to edit. The downside is the time in take to bring in sync and export all that footage, much of which gets edited out anyway! 

The second video I did the edit and colour in resolve, exported to MP4, then overlaid in VIRB. This is less rendering time, but the downside is all your edits need to be locked in, and you can't do any slomo before. You can have the map overlay underneath the GPS track though, which I really like. 

I'll probably end up with some hybrid workflow where I do some prelim editing in resolve, overlay in VIRB, then add some final speed ramping and cuts in resolve after. It'll be a lot of rendering though and might lose some image quality through compression with each render. 

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 18 at 2:02pm
Very good footage mozzy, having done a (very) small amount of basic video editing I envy your knowledge and patience  Thumbs Up audio is much easier......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 18 at 6:09pm
Very good videos Mozzy, I always try to comment to show appreciation of your useful work, keep up the good work.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 18 at 1:42pm
Forgot to press start on the GPS, so no fancy overlay this week I am sorry! So, that will have to wait until next week and Christmas Cracker, but I feel the overlay is probably more interesting in a race scenario anyway. 

But, I thought I'd do something a little different with a talk through of our sail including a few manoeuvres. 

Wind was very pleasant 10 knots aligned with the current in the main channel, so nice flat water.

Edited by mozzy - 19 Dec 18 at 1:43pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 10:25am
Merry Christmas from the HISC Xmas cracker!

Unfortunately our launch line broke, meaning 3 minutes of frustratingly tying it back in the bow whilst two sailing down wind! Still a perfect course and breeze for skiffs and really run race!

Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 4:09pm
Nice vid! It was a cracking race. Spring highs made the 3 sailers over the shallows a touch less twitchy!
We did a wrong course just out of the start and had to drop and sail back to n winner.
Between that and your pole issue we could both have been pretty close to that 29er.
That said it looked like it was being sailed very slickly. And enough breeze for it to light up.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 4:15pm
who was wearing the heart monitor Mozzy?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 5:50pm
Oli, HR was on me again, with no flu to blame the high HR on... sailing must be pretty decent work out after all! 

The 29er boys are pretty good, won their last circuit event comprehensively. 

The 800 and I14 seem to hold pretty similar speed downwind (give or take a knot or two), but you guys have such deep gybing angles it was insane! Were you crewing for the day?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>